Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! Horrid Belt noise!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aormz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: HELP! Horrid Belt noise! Reply with quote

Long story short is, I had to replace my water pump, in the mean time. I bought a new serpentine belt! My first time doing a water pump, but I figured it out! After installing everything I turn on my Jeep and it's a wretched noise coming from the belt, the engine seems like it's running fine, powersteering is working. But the Noise is VERY LOUD! if I rev the engine, just gets louder. It did not make any noise before I replaced this belt.

I replaced the water pump, and serpentine belt. Did I do something wrong? I tried adjusting the belt tension, loose still does it, and tight still makes the noise as well! I am soooo Frustrated and looking for any sort of guidance please

96 Cherokee 4.0 Straight 6
123k miles

Please help!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a squealing noise, just get some belt dressing from an auto parts store!
aormz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a squealing but, it's LOUD
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be mindful, a belt can squeal just as loud if it's TOO tight as when it's not tight enough. You need to check to see what your particular Jeep is set for tension-wise before arbitrarily tightening or loosening a belt to eliminate sound. If you don't know what that might be, I suggest taking it in to a mechanic to double-check your install, just to be sure. It's considerably safer than guesswork, and you still get props for the effort.

Other causes of belt squeal could include the A/C compressor, the belt tensioner, a failing alternator, pulley misalignment, or even just dirty pulleys.

Here is a link that might help you out.

Good luck!!! thumbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: