Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 Jeep GC Laredo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wan2live

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: 97 Jeep GC Laredo Reply with quote

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo straight 6 4.0

Just have a quick question about my valve cover gasket.

I replaced my gasket today and upon removing the cover I noticed alot of buildup around the springs and the head so I cleaned all the caked on junk off and cleaned it with some gunk stuff and topped off the oil and ran her to engine temp and all seems well.

Before the gasket change I had a slight leak I believe and after a long drive my oil pressure would drop on the dash but the engine seemed fine, would this gunk cause that problem as it is probably on the lower end just as bad and if so would a good flush remove all that gunk and free up my pump ot should I let it alone?

Thanks in advance.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gunk is from not changing the oil enough or using cheap oil. You should switch to semi syntetic oil and It wouldnt hurt you to drop the oil pan and check the pump.. If its slimey on top its probably the same at the bottom...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wan2live

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sb

I use Castrol 20-50 for high mileage, I was afraid to switch to a thinner oil but I will drop the pan and replace the bottom gasket clean it up and switch over to synthetic if that is appropriate me the thumbs up.

Thanks again sb
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you drop the pan.. Go ahead and change the rear main.. If its not leaking now it soon will be.. (They always do..) And if you have any buildup on the oil pump change it to.. Get yourself a Melling high volume they only cost about $70 and its well worth it..

Autozone has them for $64.99

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,70058/initialAction,partProductDetail/initialpartType,00018/initialR,APP41501/initialvehicleId,2359401/shopping/selectZip.htm

And the Fel Pro rear main seal is only $13.99

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP818701/vehicleId,2359401/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,3042/partType,00534/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

I would suggest Castrol semi synthetic and after you have run a few oil changes it should have your engine scrubbed out good.. Then you can switch to full sythetic if you want...

I personally run Amsoil in my Jeep with nearly 180,000 very hard miles on it , it still runs great...

This is an older vid.. but listen to that puppy roar..
Mr. Green

CLick.... And enjoy..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wan2live

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright sounds like a plan. I will do this in 2 weeks since the holiday is coming and I have some fish to catch. I'll report back once done have a good one!

Thanks again.

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: