Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Cherokee Overheating

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Jeep Cherokee Overheating Reply with quote

Newbie here. I have a 1999 Cherokee 4WD 6 cyl with a overheating problem. Not a mechanic, so took it to a garage. They flushed the system and put in a new theromostat. Two days later I blew a radiator hose. Same place replaced both hoses and flushed the system again. Vehicle is still overheating. With the AC on, it will hit about 220. This started about three weeks ago.
What next?

Lonnie
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fairly common. I also have a 99. I just wired a switch to control the aux. fan myself. It's wired so that it can still work normally (with the a/c), but when I flip the switch it overrides the a/c to keep the fan on constant. Before installing the switch I would see 220 with the air on. I tried flushing several times and even tried a reduced temp thermostat. The fan would cycle very erratically(on, off, on, off). Since I put in the override it works great, the temp stays at or under 210 (where it should be).
Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That method is worth a try.
This first happened while we were on vacation in Canada. We've had this Jeep for four or five years, and never had a problem. Any idea why it would all of a sudden start doing this? What about taking the radiator out, having it throughly cleaned, and re-installing it? Forgot what this process is called.

Lonnie
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why it does it. I've owned mine since new. It started getting hot about 3 years ago. The switch works great, if I see the needle going past 210, I flip it and it stays put!
Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll give that a shot. Shouldn't be a major job, right? How about explaining how you did yours. With my luck, after I wired it, the rear compartment would open when I hit the switch. Smile
When it come to mechanicking, I'm a pretty good woodturner.

Lonnie
BTO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange, will wiring the fan direct, and running it full time while the temp is up, not burn out the relay eventually?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post how I did it tomorrow.

BTO I've been using the switch for 2 years now with no problems. It doesn't use the relay.

Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're at it, where is the water pump located? 4.0 ltr engine.

Lonnie
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #8 fuse slot is not used on my 99 XJ. That's where I grabbed the 12 volts needed for the switch. I tested the contacts in the fuse hole to find the power side. Then I put a 15 amp fuse with a wire attached to the unpowered side (kind of like an inline fuse).
On mine there's a blue(+) and a black(-) wire going to the fan. I spliced a wire into the blue wire, for the power running to the fan.
So that's one wire from the fuse box to the switch and one from the switch to the fan.
I used a lighted switch. The only difference is there's one more wire to run to a ground.
This is my switch!

And the water pump! Mr. Green

Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, much thanks for the help.

Lonnie
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

Did the shop check the radiator flow rate?
The radiator must be removed and sent to a radiator shop.
You probably have a flow problem the water is not getting thru the radiator. Reducing your thermostat temp will only cut your gas mileage.
If your rad is over 50 cloged dont recore it, replace it.
Radiators are about $135.00 bucks.
Cutting wires are just adding problems.
1991 Cherokee Limited
Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next step is to replace the radiator. We've replaced everything else, so want to do it right.

Thanks for all the replies.

Lonnie
Grey Mountain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 'bout to replace the radiator. What has to be removed to get the radiator out? This looks a bit more complicated than the last radiator I replaced (on a '77 Chevy cargo van). Keep in mind that I'm the guy who took the fan and clutch fan off to get to the water pump. Surprise, surprise!

Lonnie
JIm1973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something else you need to do before replacing the radiator. I had the same problem with my Jeep and instantly thought radiator which it turned out not to be...but I guess on the bright side I now have a spare radiator Smile

If you have taken it into any mud recently try cleaning the radiator with a high pressure hose. Just stand in front of your jeep and put the hose between the front slits o||||||o...although I was amazed at how much mud had collected on mine it was not the soulution but did help.

With the engine off, does your clutch fan have resistance? Mine was freespinning hot or cold and by design they should have resistance. I was able to turn mine with one finger and little effort. I had another vehicle to compare it with and noticed a difference right away. I replaced the clutch fan and problem was solved.

if clutch fan is fine, and rinsing the radiator does not help, you should unbolt it or take it to a shop and ask them to inspect your radiator.

Wiring your radiator to run nonstop is not a solution, it is a temporary fix.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would guess the fan's clutch as well. if it isn't spinning properly then you'll never cool without running the electric fan. maybe take it for a drive and once it heats up turn on your a/c? if it cools down then i'd shy away from changing the radiator (since it worked well enough with the electric fan drawing through it) and lean towards the mechanical fan. if you need good directions for pulling anymore parts shoot me a pm and i'll cut/paste detailed directions for you.
chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: