Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dex-cool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motownguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Dex-cool Reply with quote

Hi,
I had my 2001 Grand Jeep Cherokee in for a radiator flush & fill. I noticed that they used a red colored antifeeze. I think it's called Dex-cool? I have heard from other people that if the vehicle does not come with Dex-cool as origanal antifreeze don't use it, and I'm sure that mine did not. They also say that you can use it "only" if you do a complete flush, which I'm sure they did not do, even though I requested it. I called the dealership and asked about it and they told me my Jeep calls for it, what do you think?
Thank you.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no Idea... I use cheap crap in mine.. rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its ether extended life coolant (propylene glycol) or its just normal coolant (ethylene glycol) with more or different additives .

the coolant in my jeep is purple , its just normal coolant . the coolant in my dads truck is green and its completely different from the green stuff you normally buy . i just put in red coolant into my sisters car , didn't call for it . doesn't matter .

my guess is that it is ethylene glycol (normal) with more additives to help cool the engine better like volvo VCS coolant .

or its extended life .

all i can say is only put in that coolant if you have to top up or you could end up with a block full of jello .
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a google search .

its ethylene glycol

* Lower alkalinity
* Contains NO silicates, resulting in longer lasting water pump and engine seals; longer shelf life.
* It is Nitrite-, borate-, phosphate-, nitrate- and amine-free.
* 100% biodegradable in its pure unused condition.
* Longer lasting (Dex-Cool has been shown to remain above 95% of its original concentration after 150,000 miles in automobiles)

the only problem i see is no silicates because the silicates swell your seals and keeps it from leaking so if it leaks all of a sudden its because the coolant doesn't swell the seals . on the other hand there is no silica to build up on the block and keep it from cooling properly , if i remember 1/4" of scale is = to 3 inches of plate .

so it has its goods and bads , if it doesn't leak for you then your all good .

also it seems its a GM coolant . strange they want it in a jeep .
drakan1908

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wifes 97 malibu came with dex-cool,now i just use advance auto brand and it says it will mix and work with any other brand. been using it for about 5 years so far no problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: