Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumble/vibration at highway speeds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Black ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Rumble/vibration at highway speeds Reply with quote

Okay, dudes - got a '98 ZJ 5.2 QuadraTrac with ~173,000 miles. It's well-maintained, in good shape and pretty much showroom stock except for a few mild mods (K&N intake, OME suspension, etc.). A quick look shows it carries a New Process 249 case and Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear differentials. Within the last 10,000 miles, it's developed an intermittent low-frequency rumble at highway speeds (60-75 mph) and the rumble has acquired a detectable seat-of-the-pants vibration within the last few thousand miles. It sounds like it's coming from the rear and, during a test drive to demonstrate it, it scared the crap (okay, not really the CRAP, but it really alarmed him!) out of my brother, who has been modifying and working on Jeeps for years out in western Colorado, but we couldn't get into any diagnostics during his brief visit to Texas last week, so I bring the problem to you guys.

One of my mechanic buds suggested it may be the pilot shaft, but it checks out. All of the universal joints check out, and I had the right rear axle replaced a few months ago after a failed bearing grooved the axle - some of you guys have seen this before, I'm sure. The left axle looked fine, no grooving and the bearing looked good, too. I put new front half-shafts on recently, when I installed the OME suspension, so they're good.

The rumble/vibe only occurs at speeds above ~60 (1800+ rpm), and generally sets up during transitional load periods; in other words, it happens when the load on the drivetrain changes slightly, like when the cruise speeds up or slows down in response to changes in road terrain. A tap on the brake or throttle will cure it temporarily, but it seems to be happening more often and getting worse - besides, it's pissing me off! furious

Any takers? Thanks!

Last edited by Little Black ZJ on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a bad universal joint
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: