Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1999 Grand Cherokee Auto Window pulley/motor replacement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: 1999 Grand Cherokee Auto Window pulley/motor replacement? Reply with quote

My mom's passenger-side window motor died on her in the down position, and I'm saving her a boatload of money by getting used passenger AND driver's side replacements from a junkyard (they pull the parts off there, not the customer, the stealership wants $400 A POP for new ones, and the aftermarket ones are discontinued supposedly...). I need the instructions and possibly a door diagram if anyone has it to look at what I need to replace. I ain't worried about getting INTO the door, as usually most door frames have plastic or screw tabs to remove the interior cover, just need to know the placement of everything once I get started (as if I couldn't look for 'em when I get inside Rolling Eyes ). I ordered both door units as I found out that the timing on these are impeccible, when one goes, the other will surely follow, and will have the wiring, cable, pulley assembly, motor, and even the interior switch (I think) sent to me shortly for a nice day project.

So, what's all involved? Mr. Green

Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info: when mom started to roll up the window, she heard a brief whirring sound followed by a loud TWANG!!!, which is why I think it might only be the cable that has snapped, but I could be wrong. Rolling Eyes

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cable snapped then it will be easy to tell when the door panel is off..
If it has jumped track that will be easy to spot to..

I guess what you need to do is take the door panel off..

Sorry couldnt help more than that.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I'm in the door panel. I see that the window is still on track, but I can't see the motor or cable because it's on the inside of the metal frame. I see the three bolts that hold the motor to the door, but I have no idea how I'm gonna see to remove the old motor, cable, and rails and get the new ones in.

Suggestions?

Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right. Major progress. Mr. Green

I've been fighting with the glass trying to remove it from the door so I could get at the regulator, and for a couple days it had stumped me.

Until my sister looked at it.

I had to remove all of the upper gasket from the top of the door to get at the glass, but the window rail was still holding onto the glass at the bottom. I racked my brain on it for awhile until my sister looked at it and said "Why don't you just loosen the bolts to the regulator and pull it away from the door's frame?"

Dagit, she was right... rofl

I loosen the bolts, slide my hands into the hole where the factory speaker was and the hole on the right side and pulled up on the loose regulator, and the window jumped out of the gasket and slid right through the top, easy as pie.

Now, looking at the regulator, I can see where the cable broke away. Inside the track is a plastic wheel that runs the cable alongside the glass retainer clip. The cable had snapped at the wheel, which caused the glass to drop to the bottom of the door.

Now, I gotta feed the new regulator through the bottom left hole and align it back to the holes inside the door, tighten the bolts back up, THEN slide the glass back in, align it to the retainer clip, and reattach it to the plastic clamps (the assembly had two brass clips holding onto the bottom clip piece, and as luck would have it, I LOST one of the brass clips when I removed it. Fortunately the new regulator had two new brass clips on it, so I'll just use those...).

THEN, I'll need to reconnect the outer gasket, plug in the motor, and test the glass out to make sure it raises and lowers. After that, I gotta put the speaker back in, reattach the door rods to the lock, reconnect the powerline to the door controls, cover the doorframe with new weatherstripping, and reattach the interior door panel with new clips I picked up from NAPA along with the stripping. It's only halfway there. Shocked

Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippie!!! The door's reassembled (except for the weatherstripping, I'll go back and add that later), and the window works perfectly.

Lots o' fun. Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: