Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering is overly sloshy.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Steering is overly sloshy. Reply with quote

Again with another tech support question here for a 1999 wrangler sport with 180,000 miles.

My wrangler at highway speeds is unstable. By that I mean that small corrections in steering produce undesireable and overexagerrated results. Like when I turn the wheel the whole thing felt like it was going to roll over. Also, going over rough terrain, I get the impression that the suspension is doing nothing at all because it's rough as heck and every bump produces a jar.

I had a 2003 Wrangler before this and it had no problems on the highway and felt rather well planted to me and soaked up the bumps on the trail nicely, but then again it only had 39000 miles on it. This car has 180,000 and I have no idea what has been replaced.

An inspection of the endlinks shows that everything is still connected, is there more I should be looking for?

I bought a new steering stabilizer shock and I will put that on this weekend as it looks like it's been through hell and back. My concern is that I need to replace the rest of the suspension. My ultimate goal was to put a 2" lift on with some new shocks. Something like this.,176,174,364&Vid=14C8BE3528225
Is it necessary to replace the springs at all? Can they go bad as well? Also, the Jounce bumpers or whatever they're called (the part inside of the spring) Do those need to be replaced ever? Mine look pretty beat down as well. Are your feelings that it's just bad shocks or do you think the stabilizer is a good idea as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: