Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humming noise?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Humming noise? Reply with quote

Hey all, I am noticing a humming noise or some sort of rubbing that sounds like its in the driveline. I cant pinpoint the noise but it is definately inbetween the front of the XJ and the transmission. The 4x4 is working fine, it makes the same noise regardless of two or four wheel drive. I have also put the tranfer case in neutral at about 45mph because that is when the noise is most noticable...but the noise stays. A few months back i pulled the axle shafts out of the front axle to replace the U-joints. My Haynes manual says that the left shaft slips right out but the right shaft has a c-clip in the differential case that has to be removed before the right shaft can be pulled. Both of my shafts pulled out without removing a c-clip(not sure if that was pre-1997 models). Maybe this could be where the friction is located that is causing the humming noise? I know for sure it is getting worse and any ideas would be awesome!!!! I am about to resort to a mechanic Crying or Very sad
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should look for a new forum to join cuz this one never helps me out with my problems. Lots of knowledgeable members but I never get help...come on people.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/index.php
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody helps you? no
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11618
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11299
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10778
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10147
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10017
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9739
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9719
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ok...i suppose I jumped the gun when I said nobody helps(its been a CRAPPY week not to mention the XJ problem). I give my sincere apologies!!! There has been a few cases though where I post a topic and everybody left comments that werent related to the topic or I never get a good answer. I have read through many posts and have found LOTS of valuable info on XJ's and I tip my hat to the XJ pros on this site. I just want some help from those pros I guess is what im trying to say.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can say that i pulled apart a dana 30 out of my 89 the other day and the one axleshaft had a c-clip .

as for not getting help im sure you get lots . and as for not getting the right answer , what do you expect its a internet forum a noise between the front end and transmission , that could be everything from screwed up pilot bearings to a unicorn in your exhaust pipe .

we can't really give you the right answer all we can do is make educated guesses from our experiences .

as for not knowing anything , im pretty sure there are a few mechanics on this site . i for one am only a 1st year heavy duty mechanic , but i still know a thing or two . and a mechanic isn't always going to find the problem or it could take a really long time , i have seen machines get 10,000 diagnostic bills for something simple . or 100,000 bills to fix sloppy rotation .

i would look at your front differential . pull the cover and both shafts inspect ring and pinion. drive it for a while and see if your bearings are smoking hot . could it be something on the brakes?

i would cancel out what i can , the differential is the cheapest and simplest of them all , then the t-case , then tranny . start ripping shit apart get out your eyes and a book about gears and your precision instruments .

or take it to a mechanic and let him do it .

do you have a atuo? what are the tires like , do you think it could be the tires ?

u joints usually dont humm they chirp or squeek . how did they look ? did you pull the cups off and inspect them? tell you something even if it didnt solve the problem .
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Humming Noise Reply with quote

I recently had aa roar or humming noise in my 1988 326,000 miles.
Talked with a well trained Jeep tech.
Take out the front drive shaft and drive it to see if the moise will go away.
If it does that is your problem.When was the last time you serviced the front diff? I swapped front shafts with my 1991 and serviced the diff and the problem was gone.
1991 Cherokee Limited
badger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they stopped using the front "C" clip when they got rid of the disco up front.

if you think its up front then yank the front shaft and see if it stops.if it does get the front shaft serviced .most likely its the cardan joint.if it started right after replacing the axle joints ,chances are you put the caps on to tight.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
could it be something on the brakes?

do you have a atuo? what are the tires like , do you think it could be the tires ?

u joints usually dont humm they chirp or squeek . how did they look ? did you pull the cups off and inspect them? tell you something even if it didnt solve the problem .

Not saying that it couldn't be the brakes, but I doubt it. I inspected them and they look fine and perform normal. Also I have never touched the brakes besides putting new pads on.

The tires have about 20K on them but have lots of tread and are evenly worn. I thought about rotating them but ruled that out.

When i pulled the old u joints they looked normal, no signs of unusual wear. I still relplaced them with new ones a couple months ago. Thanks for the ideas.
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
they stopped using the front "C" clip when they got rid of the disco up front.

if it started right after replacing the axle joints ,chances are you put the caps on to tight.

Good to know the "C" clip was discontinued.

Im pretty sure it started after replacing the axle joints. A friend of mine who has an XJ noticed the noise before I did(started out really quiet). How do you put the caps on too tight? Can you pound the caps in too far?
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I just pulled the front driveshaft and that did nothing to stop the noise. My next step I guess is to rotate the tires to see if that helps. Any other ideas?
badger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your question ....yes you can drive down the cap to far causing bind which leads to rapid failure.your next step would be to separate the axle joints again.when you do it leave them separated and just install the stub shafts take it for a spin and see if it stops .if it does you found your answer the axle joint.

i mean really you answered you own thread when you said it started right after or shortly after doing the axle joints.my first guess after the front drive shaft would be the axle joints. the only reason i would check the drive shaft first would be because it easier to take off.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
your next step would be to separate the axle joints again.when you do it leave them separated and just install the stub shafts take it for a spin and see if it stops .if it does you found your answer the axle joint.

Im not really sure what you mean by installing just the stub shafts? Im automotive vocabulary declined Rolling Eyes
badger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok you know how to remove the hub unit (unit bearing) right.one large nut upfront (36MM),3 13mm bolts out back. remove the 2 caliper slide bolt,remove place aside,pull rotor off,pull unit bearing,pull the axle shaft.

now you have a shaft with a u joint.remove that u joint and put the short end that passed through the unit bearing back in.this is the stub shaft since its a short stubby shaft .place the joint end in a vise and re torque to i believe 175 foot pounds

here is an article for the most part on how to install a unit bearing.

97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what your are saying. I just didn't know what the stub shaft is. I do now.

I might have figured something out though...when I pulled the front driveshaft I noticed that by turning the shaft my front driverside tire would rotate and the passenger did not. when i went to put the shaft back in today i rotated the shaft that comes out the back of the differential and both driver and passenger tires would rotate. why would they both rotate today and only one rotated yesterday?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: