Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CJ2A engine won't start when warm

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ignition system options:
Keep original factory 6-volt system intact
 0%  [ 0 ]
Change to 12-volt system
 100%  [ 1 ]
Convert to HEI (if so, whose?)
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: CJ2A engine won't start when warm Reply with quote

Mine is a '46, military green with offroad tires and still with original canvas top. She runs and drives great -- AFTER I get it started. It starts cold just fine, but after it warms up I had better not shut it off unless I have an hour or more for it to cool back down. I'm very lucky if it starts when warm.

I suspect the engine heat is causing more electrical resistance/loss somewhere, and there isn't enough electricity left for a good spark when the starter is engaged. I removed the starter and had it inspected, and the shop gave it a clean bill of health. The 6-volt battery is new and appears to be working properly, and it cranks over fine.

Otherwise I don't know how to debug further. I now suspect the ignition coil, but for no particular reason other than this: if the engine DOES happen to start when warm (it can happen), it still runs quite smoothly -- which seems to indicate the distributor is doing its thing.

I suppose, too, that it could be a fuel problem. Vapor-lok? But the engine runs at normal temperatures.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: