Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

96 ZJ Oil Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonmav30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: 96 ZJ Oil Leak Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt my 4.0L engine in my 1996 ZJ. Had a cracked head so I replaced the head, pistons, and all the engine gaskets(head, valve cover, intake exhaust manifold, and oil pan). After finishing and starting the engine, it ran fine, but I now have a pretty severe oil leak that is dripping down from the bell housing. I have checked all of the things I could think of. No valve cover leak, no leak from oil filter stem, I re-did the gasket and RTV (Permatex #2) on the oil pan gasket, making sure all bolts were torqued to the correct specs, replaced the rear main seal, and even replaced the oil pan gasket, also, the oil pressure gauge on dash appears to be reading normal pressure. All have failed and I still have a leak. Ive thought other possibilities could be that the PCV system is clogged creating a higher pressure and blowing oil out, or even maybe a cracked block, but I think that is unlikely. Can anybody give me any info on this problem, tips/suggestions. Thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far up does the oil start , there should be "washing" as far up as the oil leaks . find the top of the leak and whala you found your source . "hint use a flash light "

im gonna guess its the valve cover , but just cuz i feel like it not because i think thats what it is .
Jonmav30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I am sure its not the valve cover, there is no oil trail coming down from above the oil pan. As far as I know, the only two real possibilities other than a valve cover leak, is the rear main seal, or the rear seal on the oil pan gasket. At this point I think Ive just got to assume that I screwed up when I put in the RMS, either that or possibly my crank has a groove in it near the seal and isn't allowing for a proper seal. I'm replacing the seal again tomorrow, and that doesn't fix it, I dunno what else it could be. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has run into similar problems and if there are any tips in going about fixing this. Thanks again for your input.
Jonmav30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the rear main again and it seems to have fixed the leak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: