Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poker Run carnage repairs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Poker Run carnage repairs Reply with quote

Well, I ordered the kit to rebuild the heim joint on my trackbar. I also picked up a new emergency brake handle from the dealer...since they don't just sell the button, which is what broke.

According to the DRB tool, the check engine light is definitely a problem with the downstream O2 sensor. Based on the voltages reported by the DRB it's not an ECU problem. So, since it's been a problem from back when I tore the exhaust out in June and since it's a known good O2 sensor, it's got to be a wiring problem. I'm going to try and fix that tomorrow after work. Once that's done, I'll put on the new e-brake handle and then adjust the cable for the rear locker. At that point I'll start swapping out the front axle shafts (since I finally got all the parts in for that). Providing I get the rebuild kit for the trackbar in time, I should be able to get it all done by the end of this weekend...at least as long as I don't find anything else loose/worn out when I start taking this stuff apart.

Worst case, next week I'll rebuild the trackbar the evening the parts arrive and push the Heep though inspection the next day. I will be wheeling the junk Columbus day weekend come hell or high water. Mr. Green

Is anyone else besides David and I making repairs before Uwharrie?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to get a replacement LCA (used) to slap in while I replace bushings/joints on mine. I just want to maintain operational status regadless how repair effort goes.

I also have ordered roof rack (Olympic Top Hat). It may arrive in time . . .

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way back from Oak Ridge, my check engine light came on just outside of Charlottesville. Autozone read it and told me it was my TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor), which would explain the rough idling and occasional sputterings during the drive. I also noticed that I lost a lug nut on the trail as well.

I dumped fuel injector cleaner in the tank and so far I haven't experienced the problems yet, but that's not to say I haven't driven far enough. Anyway, I'll be pulling the TPS and cleaning it as soon as I find the right Torq bit. I'm also going to fix the ever minor lug nut issue. Lastly, I was planning on wire brushing with my drill the allow rims I've got just to see actually sparkly with a slightly satin finish. Then I'm going to check to make certain all the bolts are good and tight and nothing seems amiss.

[edit]Oh, I also will be replacing my radiator hoses before next year. The ones on mine are starting to bulge out at the ends.[/edit]

All in all, I think I faired better than usual considering my recent track record.

-Trevor.

Last edited by rovertmutt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any luck, mine will hold together until AFTER Uwharrie!

This winter, I have a bunch of sensors to replace (TPS, CPS, NSS, O2) since I have been lucky on all of these so far . . .

This winter in off-season i also hope to redo all coolant system 3 core radiator and such. I am also planning a steering overhaul and hope to borrow someone's new balljoint set?

Maybe go ahead and install that stock tire swing carrier after all (for my 32" tire).

I may need to add an S10 leaf to rear and spacers in front, as my RE 4.5" spring seems quite FLAT?

Where does it end?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231

Last edited by jppilot61 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ends, between maintance, repairs and upgrades, there is always something to do. Hopefully, my next adventure will be to upgrade the axles to D60s, 4.88s, SOA with a little streching of the wheelbase by 2 to 3 inches overall.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
HEMIjer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: d30 Reply with quote

I am going to tear down my d30 tonight and check the seals. The passenger side was leaking bad Sunday, hoping it just retaing spring over the seal and it did not get chewed up, if it did I am going to blame the K5 Blazer. The seal was not leaking until I went up the rock pile with the ATF on it after he broke.

Also got to do the typical change rear diff fliuid (to put skid on), change oil, rotate tires.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I choose to not take that line since he dumped the entire contents of his tranny on it. It's too bad too, cause that was the difficult (i.e.- fun) line.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys has a blast! Shocked Shocked

rovertmutt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! And this time, I actually got to DRIVE my jeep at Oak Ridge instead of riding like I did last year. Last year, I think I drove Jerico's jeep thru two small obsticals because he was being nice. Mr. Green
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they did a good job with the new trails they cut in. Although I only saw a small part of one, it was still pretty cool. Mr. Green

RTFS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed one of my lower rear shock mounts was folded up like a pretzel so I guess it's time for an upgrade. I'm leaning towards the Nth degree shock shifters. I'll bet there's some dealer out there that has them in stock...

Words fail me in the expression of how much fun it was to recover that Blazer from the obstacle. It was a true example of teamwork with Steve acting as our Master of Ceremonies. Cool

I hope meeting the future in-laws was worth it Dave, you missed a LOT of fun! Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTFS wrote:
Words fail me in the expression of how much fun it was to recover that Blazer from the obstacle. It was a true example of teamwork with Steve acting as our Master of Ceremonies. Cool

I was actually expecting some one to break a winch cable...but neither of you caused any shock loads on each others cables. You guys did a perfect job of feeling the tension on your Jeeps and compensating accordingly. All I was doing was making sure the Blazer went where we wanted it. I have to give it up to the Poor Boys as well, they helped with some of the spotting, rigging and ideas. Mr. Green I know Jericho has pictures and some video of that little operation...it was pretty fun.

BOT....it looks like my radiator sprung a leak. angry

I was running it last night looking at operational data trying to figure out this O2 sensor problem (I pulled the entire harness out, re-did the wiring, put it back and I'm still getting a DTC). When I shut it off and walked to the front of the Jeep, I noticed a puddle of coolant that seemed to be coming from the driver side bottom of the radiator. I pulled the airbox and electric fan out to check the lower hose (hoping that's what it was). Turns out some of the fins were wet, so it's leaking at the core....

The funny thing is that it was not leaking on Wednesday...so it just started. If I did not have this other work to do, it would have happened while we were at Uwharrie. At least that's a good thing....I still think the junk is conspiring against me though... Neutral

Anyway, I just ordered a new radiator, it should be here Monday morning.

Quote:
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you've got it worse than I ever did. At least my jeep maintained a single issue to resolve. But I am bringing along a lot of duct tape just in case the hoses go. I doubt they will.

Trevor.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, the good news is that the trackbar rebuild kit just showed up...the bad news is, I'm oncall this weekend. One more piece of good news, I was able to adjust the rear locker cable at the lever itself...so I don't have to open the cover. With any luck, I'll be able to get the trackbar done, install the new parking brake lever and put in the axleshafts this weekend. The only thing left will be the the radiator, which will be here Monday morning.

Oh, and while I was at Autozone today picking up some consumables, I saw they had a set of KC Offroad HiLites onsale for $60. I snagged them....so now I'll be ready for a night run Jericho. Mr. Green

Quote:
HEMIjer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i should be good to go.

My d30 seals were fine, the diff was overfilled some, and there was lots of dirt between the seal and the shaft. I should really shoot my self for not putting outter seals on when I got new axles. I need to do that at some point.

This afternoon I completely disassemebled the axle and cleaned the tubes out real well wiped down the seals and covered them in grease. Figured out a quick way to clean out the inside of the tubes I stuffed them with paper towels that were soaked in diff fluid then sucked them out with a shop vac, worked well suprisingly.

Just need to change oil and adjust E brake cables still.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: