Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poker Run carnage repairs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost there. Today I swapped in the new front axle shafts (including new unit bearings), rebuilt the trackbar ends, hit every zerk with the grease gun, changed the tranny and tcase fluid, installed the new parking brake lever, finished welding up the exhaust and did all the wiring for the offroad lights...and all that was in between working production issues (I'm oncall)...so it was a very productive day. As I suspected, the passenger side axle ujoint was definitely loose and getting ready to let go. Also the heim joint on the axle side of the trackbar was ready to come apart. Neither would not have lasted much longer.

The only major thing left is put in the new radiator (when I get it Monday). I have to do some other finish work (zip tie up the new wiring, top off the tranny, etc.), but I'll take care of that tomorrow along with cleaning out the interior.

I also need to re-spool my winch rope...but I'll do that on Friday when we get to Uwharrie. It'll go a lot quicker with a couple of extra bodies. Wink

6 days and counting...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UNL1MTD
Tastes just like Strawberries...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEMIjer wrote:
Well i should be good to go.

My d30 seals were fine, the diff was overfilled some, and there was lots of dirt between the seal and the shaft. I should really shoot my self for not putting outter seals on when I got new axles. I need to do that at some point.

This afternoon I completely disassemebled the axle and cleaned the tubes out real well wiped down the seals and covered them in grease. Figured out a quick way to clean out the inside of the tubes I stuffed them with paper towels that were soaked in diff fluid then sucked them out with a shop vac, worked well suprisingly.

Just need to change oil and adjust E brake cables still.

Glad you got everything taken care of. I sat on my arse all weekend either watching my brother's dogs or watching football. I need to clean up the jeep a bit and finish wiring my additional lights up. Nothing that will keep me from driving though.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: New Olympic Top Hat Roof Rack Reply with quote

I managed to put it on last night and another hour today. Will hold my spare a bit better than redneck engineering job before with piece of plywood and a severely bent in roof!

Hope my bushing in my driver side LCA holds up.
I need to do a lot of suff on front end when we get back! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by jppilot61 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeep is all back together, new water pump, power steering pump bracket, radiator and front diff cover. Test drive completed it runs good.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a snag. When the new radiator showed up, the filler neck was damaged to the point that the cap would not go on. I should have a new one tomorrow. I put the old one back in to try and get it through inspection tomorrow. Based on what I saw last week, I'm pretty sure the old radiator will make it down there. So I'm going to bring the new one with me. Worst case scenario, it bursts like a ballon and it takes me an hour or so to swap in the new one.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine past inspection. So I'm good there. I still need to go thru the jeep and oil all the zerk fittings and grease the ujoints up front. Otherwise, I'm good to go.

-Trevor
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, I just got back from a test drive...including a 12 mile run up and down the highway at 70-75 mph. The radiator does not appear to be leaking and the front end feels tight as a drum. I'm still going to bring the new radiator with me just in case.

There is a noise that appears to be coming from the steering gearbox....not quite a squeak and not quite a groan. It's only in a small range of steering motion so I don't expect it will be a problem. Looks like I'll be buying/installing that PSC extreme duty steering box this winter. Wink

Taking it in for inspection first thing in the morning...hopefully they don't give me any crap.

Quote:
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp the junk passed inspection with flying colors. I'm stealing Marks danicin' monkey for a celebratory dance...

This afternoon, I'm gonna give Jen's Jeep the once over and hit all the zerks with grease. Then I'll load up all the gear and we'll be heading out at 9am.

Quote:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: