Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An interesting noise from the front brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: An interesting noise from the front brakes Reply with quote

When I apply my brakes, especially when coming down a hill there is a scrapeing or scrubing noise comeing from the drivers side front area of the jeep.
I looked all around in the wheel well for rub marks, the suspension parts and nothing. So I pulled the wheel to look for a rotor that was warped or a warn out pad. The pads were still good, on gouges in the rotor, the bearing felt good. I did notice that the dust guard was rubbing the rotor in one spot so It was fixed with a hammer.
I went out for a drive and it still made the noise. Any Ideas?

Its a '96 Cherokee sport with the 4L, 5spd and what I believe is a 4" trailmaster lift kit and slightly taller tires on 15" rims. I just bought the jeep a month and a half ago from a used car lot that really had no idea what it was. When i asked him how much it was lifted he gave me a puzzled look. Confused The more I look around this the more aftermarket things I find. There Is a set of headers, K&N air filter, instructions for a trailmaster lift, remote door locks and who knows what else.
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have a '97 XJ and have had a few noises coming from the front end. Some things to check that worked for me is: the axle joints(Ujoints on front axle shafts) this took out some vibration and made a few noises go away. Two days ago I had to replace the front driver wheel hub bearing assembly...heard something grinding in the axle thought maybe it was the gears in the differential. Eventhough the bearing felt solid i'd consider replacing it with an upgraded one(Timken $140 is what I bought). I took mine to a small auto shop(my landlord) first and got a free diagnosis of what was wrong with it....if you do that you can save some $$$ instead of throwing $$$ into parts that might not fix the problem. Just some ideas hope they help!!!!
Alex22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to force the jeep to make the noise for the last week. What i've found is making me think its coming from the suspension. The noise is a scrubbing or maybe a groaning noise when the suspension is compressed rapidly.
could it be the busing in the arm for the 4 link suspension?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: