Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coolant leak. Can't find it.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Coolant leak. Can't find it. Reply with quote

So I bought this Jeep a few weeks ago, and the radiator was full of stop leak nasty stuff. So I flushed it and ran it with the chemical flush in it for 4 days with no leaks.

Yesterday, I flushed it again and put antifreeze and water in it, and it started leaking really bad after the first time I drove it. It's coming from somewhere around the water pump area. Is there some type of water pump gasket that could be leaking, or would this be the head gasket or intake gasket? The oil looks clean, doesn't look like anything is getting into it, but the coolant started dumping out quite a bit once I shut the Jeep off after driving it. It's sorta hard to get under it and see where it's coming from because the rubber guard under the motor was blocking my view.

It's a 99 Cherokee Classic, 139K. I need to get this fixed ASAP. I was debating on just putting some stop leak back in it and calling it a day, but I don't wanna mess it up worse.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a new water pump.
nad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the water pump didn't actually blow up, and the heat works still and the car doesn't over heat. Is it likely for the water pump to just start leaking?
The Jeepster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Sounds like you need a new water pump.

I agree it sounds like the seals have gone. Is it leaking from the weep hole in the water pump body?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are designed with a weep hole that leaks when the shaft seals are bad. Once the coolant gets into the bearing it will eat it up. So, if it leaks you should change it right away.
nad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the whole pump will need to be replaced? I haven't been able to investigate it much. How easy is it to replace?
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Sticky: XJ Tech Writeups Above
REPLACING THE WATER PUMP
http://jeepin.com/features/waterpump/index.asp

The only thing I would do different is once system is cold and depressurized just poke a hole in the lower radiator hose to drain system, donít waste time looking fore the hidden radiator drain that is probable stuck anyway.

Trick to retighten the belt from DavidXJ:
I have had a hard time with my belt squealing, and the only thing that has worked has been to install it so that it has about 1/2" deflection on one of the longer runs of belt, and then just start tightening/loosening the belt until the squealing is no longer there when I hit the gas hard. But make sure the AC pump is running when you adjust it.
nad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was stop leak in it up to this point and its not just small puddles. Its like gushing out after i shut it off.
nad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's probably the gasket between the intake and the water pump that's leaking. I'm going to take that bottom splash guard off tomorrow and drive it around and see if I can pinpoint exactly where it's leaking from. If it is indeed leaking from the pump gasket, I'll just replace the pump anyway.

Any other suggestions? Replacing the pump seems pretty straight forward, I just gotta see if I can find the time to get it done. Thanks guys.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nad wrote:
I'm thinking it's probably the gasket between the intake and the water pump that's leaking.

There is no gasket between the intake and the water pump. The intake attaches to the side of the head. The water pump attaches to the front of the block. The reason it gushes out after you shut it off, is that the temperature in the cooling system rises when you shut off the Jeep. Higher temp = more pressure. You are asking for more suggestions when you haven't even looked at what we're suggesting is wrong. Take a look at the pump and if it's not the problem, post up and you'll get help. This is a common occurence, when you get coolant leaking from the pump area it's almost always the weep hole.
nad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've established it is leaking from the water pump area. I believe it was leaking from between the head and the water pump, that's what I meant, not the intake. The water pump was also making a chattering noise. So I pulled the water pump this morning, and I'm gonna go grab a new one and the rest of the stuff today on my lunch break, then I'm gonna start putting the new one on tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Yes, they are designed with a weep hole that leaks when the shaft seals are bad. Once the coolant gets into the bearing it will eat it up.

That's the chattering noise you heard.
nad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the bearing was going bad as well? Well it's a good thing I got it off today. I've got a busy week this week, but I should have time tomorrow morning to slap the new pump on and see if that fixes my problems. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.
Tim Hallam

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine leaks about 1 cup of fluid per week, so its not too bad but I've been having a hell of a time finding where exactly its leaking from. Looks like the water pump from what I can see.

Tim

1986 Pioneer, 1990 Laredo, 1991 Sport, 1993 Sport & 1998 Sport.
mexirican

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I just did the same thing. Use the link that djgrayxj put up.
See if there is a shop close to you who will pressure test your system also. That's a great way to check for leaky hoses. Auto Zone should have everything. Do it yourself and save a ton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: