Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axle splines???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: axle splines??? Reply with quote

i have a 98 cherokee 4.0 5 speed ax15 np231 with the 8.25 rear what spline axles do i have im debating if i should build my rear axle or go junk yard dana 44... the currie guy at truck fest said build the 8.25 if its a 29 spline but dana 44 has more gearing options but im only on 35's...well about to be once i gear...so im on 6" and bald 31's...lol man can i flex...

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
berk9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a 29 spline
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember correctly you can go to 4.88, Im positive that you can go to 4.56

If you decide to go XJ44, good luck in the yard, they are pretty rare. However I was looking under one of the big utility ford vans and they appear to have d44s under them, may be worth looking into
badger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
If i remember correctly you can go to 4.88, Im positive that you can go to 4.56

If you decide to go XJ44, good luck in the yard, they are pretty rare. However I was looking under one of the big utility ford vans and they appear to have d44s under them, may be worth looking into

actually the vans have a semi floating 60 with disk brakes.of course this is the late 90's on up.the gearing can only go to 4.56 not unless that one company came out with their special gear set to go 4.88.

oh and your spline count is 29 as mentioned

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got ya, this was a newer van, looked kinda small for a 60

I wasnt sure about the gears, we called randys ring and pinion and I was pretty sure he said they have 4.88s
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the d44 is pretty common on the older XJ's. just looking for an auto with the tranny cooler up front - chances are it'll have the 44 in back since it was usually paired with the towing package. dollar for dollar you'll save by just putting a 44 under it compared to rebuilding a whole new axle. nothing to set up 'cept for the gears...
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine didnt have the cooler in the front. So having a pic handy of the rear would be the best way to determine
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can tell axles apart like there my buisness...especially the dana 44 and a semi floating 60?? if i go 60 id want full floating

i found one local the junk yard guy said he could do 400 but i unno i heard the built 29 splie can be stronger than a 44

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: