Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idling Rough, feels like itís going to die. PLEASE HELP!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not horrible, but anytime you're working on sensors/electrical, you should disconnect the battery. By disconnecting it now, you'll reset the computer which has likely compensated for the bad IAC you just replaced.
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the IAC something typical to Jeeps? My wrangler idles nice and then sputters and idles nice. I have a new O2 censor so if this is a typical thing I will look into it too. Wink
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my neighbor helped me today install an oxygen sensor in the Jeep. He has a computer scanner as well and we reset the computer. Little did I know but there was an error with the crank position sensor. We just had our transmission rebuilt and when they put it back in they cracked the sensor so they replaced it, but I guess they didn't reset the computer to erase the code. That's why our jeep was sucking gas down.

But tonight when I was driving home on the freeway (the first time since our new rebuilt tranny was put in) the car seemed to chug when I was going over 70 every time I'd press on the gas pedal. So I thought that was a little weird. I got off the freeway at our exit and came to the light, stopped and when the light turned green I went to press on the gas and the car stalled. I tried to restart it and it would just barely start, the RPMs were really low (50-100 RMPs), really rough shaking and then within 3 second the Jeep stalled again. So I tried to start it again but this time pumping the gas pedal and it still stalled. Eventually I had to get out and push it. This is getting ridiculous, I'm about to shoot our car. I have a MAP sensor I'm going to install, any new ideas on what to replace now? Our mechanic thought it might be the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow Sensor). Any ideas? Please help!
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to start the car today and it started right up. So I checked the pressure of the fuel and when I started the Jeep the pressure was all over the place and then was ok after that running at about 30 psi. But after letting it run for a while I noticed that occasionally the pressure would drop to 20 psi and then go back up. Any idea on what's going on and why my car died after I got off the freeway? Does it have to do with the change in the speed and in the fuel pressure?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=62&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fuel_pressure
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to drive around with my gauges on to see if when the Jeep dies and it won't start that there is still spark or fuel pressure. So I was driving and turning a corner when the cars RMPs were really low and I'd pump the gas peddle down and nothing. The engine was barely running and it seemed like the gas peddle wasn't attached to anything because it didn't change the RMP's or anything. The car was just rolling very slowly around the corner on it's own power. I popped the hood and had my wife run around and open it. Just then the car died and so I tried to start it and nothing from any of the gauges, no fuel pressure and no spark. I then realized I had no spark because I still was in drive. So I put it in drive and it started back up.

I drove it around some more and one time the car keep going at a constant speed for about 5 seconds while I was pushing the gas peddle down more and more and then all of sudden it felt like it finally got the gas and accelerated.

I tested a theory I had. I turned off the car in drive and turned back on the ignition and noticed there was no spark of course but there was pressure in the fuel gauge. Since when the car died I was in drive and couldn't start the car since there was no spark but there was also no pressure in the fuel gauge...is it pretty reasonable to think it's a problem in the fuel line?
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the other night when I started the car our fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and staying at about that pressure. The next morning I went to start the car and there was no pressure at all in the fuel line. So I hit the gas task with a hammer and of course it started...meaning fuel pump. I replaced it and it's running fine now. Thanks everyone for your help!
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moto_demon86 wrote:
So I hit the gas task with a hammer and of course it started...

spit
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: