Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idling Rough, feels like itís going to die. PLEASE HELP!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Idling Rough, feels like itís going to die. PLEASE HELP! Reply with quote

I have a problem that's really starting to bug me. Our car just recently (before we got our transfer case and transmission fixed) when you start the car it would feel like it was about to die. It would shake really bad for about 30 seconds and then the RPMs would jump up to about 1500 RPMs and then the car would be fine. But if you drove on it before the RPMs jumped to 1500 RMPs it would sputter, have sporadic power, hesitate and act like it was going to die. I replaced the fuel filter, put fuel cleaner in the tank, replaced the TPS, and replaced the oil pressure sensor. After getting our transmission and transfer case fixed, I had the mechanics do a whole tune up (spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, wire set) and they cleaned the Throttle Body. While they were driving it around testing the transmission and the car started to shake really bad and have a rough idle and then the car just died. So they let it cool for about 10 minutes and drove it again but it died another 2 more times. So they thought it was the Ignition Coil and changed that free of charge. The Fuel Pressure came back normal and there was enough spark in the coil. They drove it around all day today and they said they thought they fixed it. I got it back today and noticed at one stop light it hesitated for a second off the line and coming up a hill it chugged slightly. I hoped it was just my imagination because I just want our car fixed. Tonight I started the car and right when I put it into reverse the car started idling really rough and acted like it was going to die. So I waited for a minute, this time the RPMs didnít jump up but after a minute the car seemed ok and I was able to drive on my way but it seemed to not have the same power that it did when I drove it back from the mechanics. After running my errand and letting the car sit for about an hour I left to come back home the car started just fine, drove perfect and had all the power back. The car isnít giving any error codes and there hasnít been a check engine light on. The mechanic said that if the car died again they thought it was the Mass Flow Sensor? Any ideas? Please help!!!
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to mention. Our car is a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank position sensor? Any engine codes or is the check engine light on?
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there hasn't been error codes and the check engine light has not come on.
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend's little crappy saturn had this exact problem... It was dirt and stuff built up on some sensor having to do with air coming into the engine... Can't remember exactly as it has been awhile and he can't seem to remember either but maybe someone that knows more might have some idea what I am talking about... The symptoms were like the EXACT same as you discribed.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idle air control? Could be that too. http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12718
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be the idle air control sensor. Mine went bad and I had just about the same exact proble. Mine didn't throw any codes or have the check engine light come on either.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After work I'll go buy the part and see if that helps. When the mechanic cleaned out the Throttle Body he sprayed the idle air control sensor a little to clean that out too. He was going to take it out totally and clean the sensor but he couldn't unscrew it to get it out. Do you think it just needs to be cleaned or should I just replace it?
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just replace it. I've heard rumors that using throttle body cleaner can screw up sensors. I'm not one hundred percent on that being true, its just something I've heard about.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I replaced the Idle Air Control and the car ran great. Turned it off and then back on and it began to rough idle but not as bad as before. When I drove it around it would still hesitate every once and a while when starting off the line. A neighbour suggest I replace the Oxygen Sensor because it's never been replaced and when I took out the Idle Air Control it was caked in Carbon. He also suggested I replace the PVC value, tube and gasket. Any other ideas?
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i say it rough idles now I mean that the engine runs not in harmony. It'll be in harmony for about 2 seconds and then not for about 2 seconds. Any ideas?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did say they replaced your plug wires right?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, they sure did.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the IAC to allow it to reset?
moto_demon86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....No, but when I started the car the RMPs were high until it compensated for the new IAC. Was that bad the way I did it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: