Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine knocks at idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor_s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Engine knocks at idle Reply with quote

Alright so hello, My names Victor, and i just got my self a 1989 Jeep Cherokee for 800$. Not alot of money, doesn't look the best but hey, for now its a beater. I got the car because i have a mark 2 golf, and while i work on it in the winer so i can't drive it. Plus snow + a lil german car= no fun.

I don't know how you guys feel about VW's here but i'm a regular poster in the VWVortex forums.

Alright so this jeep is junk now, well not junk, but i want it better.

Got a few quick questions for you.
My engine knocks, i know i know, its gonna die on me soon.
But i think i figured out the reason, its a strong engine once you put your foot on the gas, its just at idle that it knocks. If i give it a tad bit gas on neutral and make it stay right under 1K rpm, it doesn't knock.
The idle is really now, almost at zero.
Any other things i should check out for fixing this knock?

umm...thats all i can think of now.
If theres any good headliner DIY's feel free to shoot em over
oh and heres a pic
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my xj knocks , my old engine in my xj knocks . both are still going strong ,the other one just had lower compression and was the renix system *barf*

anyway , just ignore it . or rebuild the engine .how many kms you looking at ?

my old engine was 300 000 miles and my new one is 300 000 kms . both never touched . still running strong abused on a daily basis .

clean the crap out of the throttle body , and especially the iac . that should fix the idle .

do a compression test if your bored , the 1st cylinder will be low probably .

congrats on owning a xj , 800$ thats a dam good deal .
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victor, and welcome.

As Brad said, knocking at idle seems to be pretty much par for the course for these engines, once they accumulate some miles. It definitely does not mean an imminent breakdown. I suspect it stems from the valve lifters, and should be fixable without a complete engine rebuild, but frankly, I've been to lazy to seriously investigate it for my own XJ.

I thought I had seen a headliner replacement write-up somewhere here on jeephorizons, but if so, I can't find it again. Google however, turned up this http://www.4x4xplor.com/headliner.html, which should fit the bill.

Best regards
--
Kári
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaos wrote:
Hi Victor, and welcome.

As Brad said, knocking at idle seems to be pretty much par for the course for these engines, once they accumulate some miles. It definitely does not mean an imminent breakdown. I suspect it stems from the valve lifters, and should be fixable without a complete engine rebuild, but frankly, I've been to lazy to seriously investigate it for my own XJ.

I thought I had seen a headliner replacement write-up somewhere here on jeephorizons, but if so, I can't find it again. Google however, turned up this http://www.4x4xplor.com/headliner.html, which should fit the bill.

Best regards
--
Kári

yes you could just rebuild the top end . but honestly its a waste of time if you don't do the bottom end as well all it will do is get rid of the noise , reliability will be about the same .

i recommend a full rebuild or just forget about it .
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Headliner Reply with quote

By Billy's89XJ
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4052&highlight=headliner

I would re do you old one with vinyl. Looks good, easy to clean. You can do many routes depending on your XJ. In my case it's a trail rig designed to play in mud, rocks, etc so I took it out. If you have the time you can take it out strip it. VERY IMPORTANT Make sure to get as much of the old material as possible off. Get a good glue like 3M for vinyl tops, I think the part # is 08090, I'll double check it Monday. Now from here you have two options... 1) go to Auto Zone, Advance, etc and get a roll of carpet, does a great job and doesn't look bad. 2) Do as some of my friends have done and go to a fabric store and do it in Vinyl, sticks great and easy to clean.
smith1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the headliner i just went to home depo a bought some 1/4" trim,cut it to fit ,bow it up to place,doesn't look to bad if you have a woodgrain dash.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to fabric store and spent $7 on some bright orange fabric for my 88. It looks awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: