Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep it? Ditch it? PLEASE HELP ASAP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I keep it?!
Hell yeah!
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Sell that sh*t!
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Keep it? Ditch it? PLEASE HELP ASAP! Reply with quote

Hey guys... I have a 97 ZJ 4.0 with 175K on the clock... Its stock exept for a set of 31s and some homemade tow hooks and stuff. Basically I have wheeled the crap out of it and it has been GREAT... Handled stuff I never thought its should be able to handle without complaint... To give you a little background: My driving is TERRIBLE... I do not mean terrible in the sense that I yack on the phone while merging onto the freeway and annoy everyone... I mean in the sense that driving for me is about trying to push the very limits... In the 2 and a half years I have been driving I have wrecked 3 cars, been in accidents bad enough to have to be towed out like 8 times, had my license suspended 4 times and been hauled off to jail (very briefly) 3 times... Yeah yeah I know.. Leave the preaching to the shrink (who says its a fine behavor as long as I do not mind paying the price thank you very much) but I am probably not going to change as all and all I would rather have the the good with the bad than not have either... So anyway offroading is helpful because I can get most of my extreme driving impulses out offroad in a "safer" enviroment... So on to my question (at last):
My last wheeling trip the ZJ finally gave out... All and all nothing to serious: The tranny gave out, the t-case leaked most of its fluid out (seems to just be some plastic collar around a sensor that got knocked off) and lots of other minor and/or cosmetic damage... The faithful old girl got me out (a miracle in itself given the stuff I was trying to make it do) and home but only in first gear with no other gears working and that one working very poorly)... I say nothing serious because the tranny had been on its way out for awhile (since before I bought it in fact) thus I can hardly fault it for that... So that it is broken and I have gotten it taken apart (the t-case out and the tranny mostly out and stuff) and it is actually time to start spending money I want to ask the big question before I take the plunge and embark on what will probably be a $12,000 path.:
Keep or sell it and buy something else?

If I keep it will get:
Unibody reenformcement of pure awesome (I will use computerized stress analysis in solidworks to make it like 5x as strong as it was while adding as little extra weight as possible.. I can do this because we have workstations I can use at work as well as offers of help)
Rollcage all over (getting a tube bender for my birthday and buying a welder)
Dana 60s front and rear with lockers
700r4 tranny
dana 300 t-case (novack conversions has adapters for both)
38-39in TSL SXs
Clayton long arm kit... Maybe just arms and buy coilovers.
Other stuff

If I sell it I want one of these:
Jeep Wagoneer
Ford Bronco
Suzuki Samuria
Jeep Wrangler
Chevy Blazer
I am hoping for something already built because usually you never recover what you put into these builds so I am hoping to put that unfortunate fact to work for me.

Keeping pros:
Satisfaction of having done all my own work
Knowledge gained by doing all my own work
Having the most badass ZJ ever
Not being heartboken about selling my baby

Cons:
TO MUCH $$$$$$!! WAY TO MUCH!
Still unibody Sad

Selling pros:
Cheaper
Fully built rigs gets me on the road ASAP... Driving with roommate is getting old. Still need to save some $s to buy something nice.
Not unibody

Cons:
Sadness of selling my favorite thing ever.. I love this car WAY more than my old car which was a nice 2004 Ford Mustang (that I also loved.. Just not this much even though it was more than 10x the cost)
Not doing everyting myself means I don't know how WELL everything was done nor do I gain all the valuable expirience.
Having to save $6000+ in one big lump rofl

So keeping in mind that I drive it like I stole it (and have the swat team actively chasing me) and want something that can take abuse like no other what do you guys recommend? PLEASE post as well as answering the poll cause I would like to hear some reasoning and stuff... Also please recommend another vehicle if you think I should sell it (think abusable and good value for the money... Does not HAVE to be one of the ones on my list).
Also please answer quicky! I am hoping to order my adapters and buy my tranny in a couple fo days if I keep it.

THANKS!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fresh meat . i have been looking for a 66-77 bronco . hard to find in canada for cheep with a good body .
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... If I was going with a Bronco or other non luxury type vehicle I would chop off the top and stuff anyway... As long as the frame is OK Im good. They seems hella exspensive on ebay tho.. I guess people LIKE the idea of a rig with a d44 front and 9in rear stock.. LOL

I might go with a willys... They are cheap and look awesome though I REALLY would perfer something with fuel injection (unlike most of the vehicles I mentioned... LOL)
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a old diesel land crusher . ill probably be shot for mentioning toyota on a jeep forum but they have tought as nails axles from factory . the bodys usually just rust out but no more then a cj .

they go forever .

the jeeps good , 12 k seems like alot , though .
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might lose my privillage of this forum after saying this but i wont lie im in love with SAS on toyota taco's on like the one they did on Xtreme 4x4 if i didnt love my cherokee so much and didnt go crazy after seeing a lifted jeep id be on that path of a SAS toyota ...if you can find one with the 22r or 22re do it just get a marlin crawler box some arbs and build your axles maybe some 5.13's and some 38's or go with some built dana 44's and 40's but those yota's are bad......my buddy has a 01 tundra on a dana 60 front 10 bolt rear 15 inch's of lift with his stock t case and a Np205 and some 40 super swampers.... his low range is serious....but thats another story that trucks on cardomain its white and its in florida

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40s, on a 10 bolt rear, V8 ? disaster?
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing... Then again thats not as bad as the local junkyard's XJs (they belong to the owner and his buddies)... The one I asked about had 35in boggers and stocks axles Finger

Anyway thanks for the advice but I have decided to keep it based on input from the mallcrawlin forums and some other research I did... I am gonna chop off most of the frame and make a tube frame buggy.... I have finally got a decent shop set up (its actually only "decent" in the fact that it is something other than sitting out on the lawn but its getting there) and am getting ready to purcahse a tube bender, welder and chop saw.
Also I heard of a dude locally selling some D60s... Though I have not seen them (I will go see them this afternoon if I get a chance) but what I have heard leads me to believe they are set up for offroading in that I am sure they are painted, cleaned and have new oil in the diff... They also probably have a decent gear ratios but they do NOT have lockers. They are $1500... Assuming they are about like I discribed you guys think its a good deal? (obvously I will START by offering $1k if I decide to try buying them but I just wonder if $1500 is overall ok)
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
40s, on a 10 bolt rear, V8 ? disaster?

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttt . that shit would explode just being within 10 feet of each other . 10 bolt is weak sauce like dana 35 weak sauce , so is a 12 bolt . 14 bolt is the only tough axle . out of those three .
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep Wagoneer: A bit on the large side for some trails.
Ford Bronco (pre 1977): Back seat accessbility sucks. Trendy.
Ford Bronco (Fullsize): Back seat accessibility sucks. Too large for some trails.
Suzuki Samuria: Way too small for any type of family events.
Jeep Wrangler: Back seat room sucks. Way too small for family.
Chevy Blazer: see Fullsize Bronco.

Jeep Grand Cherokee: Not too big, not too small. 4-door for accessible rear seat. OK for family without adult-size children. And with what you have planned for it, will be an unstoppable trail machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: