Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE 5.5 Install Help/ Info Wanted/Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2006LJRubicon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: RE 5.5 Install Help/ Info Wanted/Needed Reply with quote

I am about to install my 5.5 RE LA tri lift. Any info and pics would be greatly appreciated. Also what do i need to check after the install? Someone please tell me how to check the bumpstop!
Thanks
Mark
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RE 5.5 Install Help/ Info Wanted/Needed Reply with quote

2006LJRubicon wrote:
Someone please tell me how to check the bumpstop!

Check for shock overcompression, coil spring overcompression, or the tires rubbing the fenders. Adjust bumpstop length to prevent whichever occurs first as you push a tire up into the wheel well.
2006LJRubicon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: How to Reply with quote

Do you know of a good right up how to check that, and how to make the right adjustement if one is needed?
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have that kit on my TJ. It's pretty straight forward on the install. If you bought it new, the kit should have came with instructions. Follow them to the "T". They will guide you through every step. If you didn't get the instructions, go to RE's website, they have the instructions on there. There will be some cutting and welding involved too. The main issues I had with mine were as follows:

Exhaust re-routing
Front track bar threads too long
RE mono tube shocks too weak
E-brake cables stretched
Had to squeeze frame together to get skid plate on

Other than that, it was pretty easy. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Eric
2006LJRubicon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by the RE monotube shocks too weak? Do you mean a manufacturing issue or are you just not pleased with the monotubes performance? I hear alot of issues with the front track bar bolts, what would you recommend.
Thanks
Mark
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, guess I should have explained that one better. The shocks are made very well, they just didn't have enough dampening for me. I don't run a rear track bar so I need some pretty stiff shocks. I hit a few trails after putting the RE monotubes on and didn't care for them at all. I quickly switched to ProComp MX6's. I run them at 3 on the street and 6 on the trail. Much better than the RE's.

As for the front track bar bolts, I haven't had any issues, top or bottom. However, I have replaced the factory torx bolts with grade 8 bolts too. The torx bolts are a pain, so I have replaced just about every one on the jeep with grade 8. The only thing I've had an issue with on the front track bar was that the threads were too long. I had to cut an inch off to get the front axle center. You however may not have this problem. The reason I had this problem was because when I installed my original 3.5" lift, I drilled a new hole about an inch to the right (when looking at the front of the axle) on the track bar axle mount. I didn't have an adjustable track bar at the time. When I put the RE on, I had to use the new hole cause I welded a plate on the the front of the mount to strengthen the plate. Make sense?

So anyway, you shouldn't have this problem with the front track bar. Sorry to ramble on about it. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Eric
2006LJRubicon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I have 3 or 4 write ups in my garage now and i just received my drill guide from sears. So now all i need to do is get to it. How long ago did you do the install?
mygreenjeep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drill guide will DEFINATELY help when drilling the holes through the frame. I did mine by eye and got pretty lucky. I did my lift in May of '06. Don't know how much experience you have with installs, but you will come across things that will be a pain in the butt with the install. Paitence is the key. If I remember correctly, the biggest pain for me was drilling out the original track bar bracket on the frame to accept the bigger 5/8" bolt. Not much room to work in there. But it can be done. Good luck with the install. I sent you a message too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: