Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T5 tranny issues: popping out of gear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rex_altitudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: T5 tranny issues: popping out of gear? Reply with quote

I have an '85 CJ-7, 258, T5, etc, and I've been having trouble with the transmission recently. It's become very tricky to get into 5th gear. Many times it doesn't catch when I put it into 5th, and occasionally if it does catch, it will pop out after a few seconds. I do also have the common T5 "floppy shifter" syndrome, which I've tried to correct using screws to tighten it down, so I don't know if that's having a negative effect or what. It could just be that it's worn out, with about 150k miles and a rough life (driven hard, oversize tires without proper gearing...? I'm trying to fix all this and bring it back closer to stock).

I'm not sure what to do about this, but my thoughts so far are either get it rebuilt or swap it for a rebuilt. I use this as a daily driver, mostly on the pavement, so I'm not interested in upgrading to a beefier tranny; I think the T5 is sufficient for my needs, as long as it's in good shape (which it isn't at the moment...).

Sorry for the long post, and any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

Happy Jeeping,
Eugene
"Jeep! Jeep!"
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a short throw kit if they make one might help if its the acutal shifter ball thingy (i sorry if that was to technical lol) could be a worn out shift fork??

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
rex_altitudo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear you. I do think Hurst and/or somebody else makes short throws for the T5, but I dunno if that's the problem... I have considered that, though.

Like I said, maybe it is just worn out, so it could be the forks or bearings or the gears themselves... who knows? I don't have the tools/shop/time/know-how to get at the inside of it, so I dunno on that...

Thanks for the suggestions, tho.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a manual so it aint that bad...automatic...pretty tricky....but a new tranny is an arm and a leg and a rebuild aint cheap labor is expensive best to find a buddy who knows how to and that owes you a a favor...my jeep has earned me about yard mows

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: