Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

86 cherokee

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: 86 cherokee Reply with quote

hey all, im new to the forum. i have an 86 cherokee command-trac and was wondering if anyone else had one around 85-87 around there to compare what some things i could and couldnt do suspension and motor wise. I have the 2.5L I4 Gasser and I believe its the 4speed Aisin AX4 trans. Any ideas?

Last edited by Toliver09 on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more about it.

the rear end is the dana 35 i believe
4.10 gear (the damned thing gets 20mpg Razz)

all the suspension is stock

the only mods i have done are a custom cold air intake made out of mendrel bent exhaust tubing (3.5in, yep, shes got plenty of air) with a cone style k&n filter. EDIT: I sold the cold air Razz buddy wanted one for his ranger and it fit lol. I hollowed the cats out and threw on a thrush glasspack, cheap way to get a pretty nifty sound out of 'er.

Im looking into finding some 33" tires, just need to find some old ranger rims to put them on so i can keep the stockers on their rims for road driving (she gets me to n from school and work)

I am completely unsure of what i want to do suspension wise. I would like to get maybe 3" lift and at least a rear locker. this is the first jeep ive ever built and I dont know what works well and what doesnt.

The only concern I have is the unibody... I've heard of people going wheeling and the body flexing so much all the windows break out... am I going to have to subframe the thing? I would appreciate ANY input and comments. I can get pictures of it pretty quickly on here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought a push-bar from a family friend off of an old samuri i think. needs minor fab work to fit on the ol' jeep Very Happy

Did i mention it was $10?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if my buddy doesnt buy it i have my old black Diamond made by super lift lift it only 1 year old and looks damn good little or no rust...its 3.5 inchs with full leaf packs and lower control arms springs and sway bar disco's i could put 31's far enough to to my fender i took off my fender flares...but they were stock and snapped back on but i felt cool on the trail Very Happy

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you happen to remember how much it cost?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today i put the jeep into a bit of a bind on purpose to check how the 4wd worked out. i got into a fairly steep ditch at an angle to get the full flex and completely flexed the suspension. got out, looked at it (yeah, it looked funny being all stock n what not) got back in and went to drive off... what do you know, the famous one wheel wonder wouldnt get 'er through it... popped it in 4Lo and grinned thinking i was going to crawl out... still just spinning tires. had to get the quad to pull myself out of it... i felt like a retard. So now I come to face a problem. LOCKERS. Good brands? I would hate to go to the ol' Lincoln locker style and weld the spiders, but I've done it before and had no serious problems with road driving. Also looked into several lift kits, came to the conclusion that I will definately be going with a 4" kit, and 33"x10.5 tires. the saw zaw will be my best friend when i get those tires Wink anyways, just wanted to post an update.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was 440 base but i paid and extra 350 for the full leafs and XT shocks so like 800 its probably one of the best cherokee lifts on the market in my opinion it is said 3 inches but i sit level with my buddy's 4 inch fabtech and we have the same busted tires so

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i was amazed with 3.5 inchs 31's and open diffs and some sway bar disco's where my XJ could take me... i woudlnt go with locekrs yet... and get 31's or 32's at most on 4 inchs this isnt a mud truck its a jeep if your gonna buy a flexy lift...let it flex...but 4 inchs is a littlemuch to start just get aa 2 maybe 3 inch lift on some LT235/75 AT's take offf your rear sway bar and just unbolt your front sway bar endlink's when you want to go wheeling...i can get mine off it about 3 minutes...i got sick of my JKS quicker disconnets they never lined up...i put the stocks back on and they line up every time...just find a buddy to wheel with and you will be amazed

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update late evening on saturday oct 27th:
-replaced the clutch and adjusted all my linkages... very smooth shifting... almost brings a tear to my eye.
-rewired the stereo and subs/amplifier (2x 1000W amps pushing 2 12" MTX subs in a dual bandpass box, reaches just over 103dbz)
-got 3 gallons of black paint for free from caterpillar (thank god dad works there)
-got new rims with 33/10.5 swampers (ill have pics shortly)
-old headliner was nothing but bare insulation, covered it with camo duct tape

Things to come in the near future
-3" lift
-new shocks that accommodate the lift (any suggestions on brand?)
-finished paint job
-rear bumper that somewhat matches the new front bumper/grille guard, speaking of which still needs fabbed and painted.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only making a suggestion; not trying to tell you how to build your rig:

I have RE 4.5" lift and am running 32" GY MTRS.

I have trimmed quite a bit but don't see where I could go with 33's! Check tire size and wheel backspacing carefully before commiting $ !

You may want to look again at your lift height?

You may stuff those tires pretty tightly into your wheel wells if you off-road it!

There is ONLY so much you can trim rear before opening up your rear cargo area to the elements!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll look into it a little more in depth when i fix the clutch that just went out...

Hydraulic clutch that has NO leaks, and is holding pressure... The fluid is black so i'm flushing it. I'd rather not replace the slave or master cylinder for it just quite yet, but I really hope its just the fluid thats bad. Its either the slave cylinder or the whole clutch is bad... ugh I hate 197000 miles Razz
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Headliner Reply with quote

Jeep XJ Cherokee Headliner
Upholstery Fabric Replacement
http://www.4x4xplor.com/headliner.html
By Billy's89XJ
I would re do your old one with vinyl. Looks good, easy to clean. You can do many routes depending on your XJ. In my case it's a trail rig designed to play in mud, rocks, etc so I took it out. If you have the time you can take it out strip it. VERY IMPORTANT Make sure to get as much of the old material as possible off. Get a good glue like 3M for vinyl tops, I think the part # is 08090, I'll double check it Monday. Now from here you have two options... 1) Go to Auto Zone, Advance, etc and get a roll of carpet, does a great job and doesn't look bad. 2) Do as some of my friends have done and go to a fabric store and do it in Vinyl, sticks great and easy to clean.
By 1fox2go
What about Herculiner? You use it for floorboards why not a headliner?
Herculiner Bed Liner Web Sights
http://www.google.com/search?q=herculiner&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLR
For More information; try Jeep Horizons Search at top of page-Type in Headliner
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Clutch Reply with quote

If you need informatiom on clutch look hear thanks to AutoZone
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/3f/ec/0900823d80153fec/repairInfoPages.htm
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im runing my 31 A/T's on 6 inch full traction which hasnt settled yet and i see how 33's would fit good and 35 to big...its not a F-250 where 8 inchs of lift can clear 40's

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to his intention of doing 3" lift and running 33's.

Might be some rubbing even with vigorous trimming!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: