Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

86 cherokee

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was some what backing it up by saying i got 6"s and 33's look like they would fit good but nothing bigger with out cutting

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clutch deal is way beyond my experience. Ive never dealt with a hydraulic clutch so I need to do some reading up on it. I flushed the system and to no result. I cant tell which cylinder is bad (master/slave) I have zero pressure when the bleeder fitting is loosened so I'm thinking the master cylinder is bad? Until I get it fixed I have no car Wink Thank god for being 17 and having no way to work right? Wonderful luck I have.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch is now fixed. Slave cylinder was leaking and caused a mass amount of air to get into the system... stupidly i slammed the clutch pedal to the floor thinking it would engage, thus bending the rod connecting the pedal to the master cylinder. after all of that i basically ended up cutting a panel out of the passenger floor board so i can fab up to cool little hatch so the slave cylinder bleeder nut is easier to get to. now im back up and running.

HOME MADE LIFT IDEAS

I consider myself a pretty avid fabricator, so the ideas of home made lifts come into my mind.

I'm not looking to crank out 30"+ of travel but I want to be able to fit 33's comfortably and without demolishing the body panels too much. The most extreme offroading i do is in Badlands Attica and nothing there is too difficult, we have a stock samuri that does pretty well over there.

Is it out of the question to make spacers for the leafs and perhaps even a spacer for the front coils? I'd love to keep the stock suspension in place, it seems like every aftermarket suspension kit i see is hard as a rock.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers for the coils, Yes!
Spacers for the leafs, No!

1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 87 has 4.5 inches and 33s, they measure 33.2 inches

as for lockers I wouldn't put money in the 35 but since yours is 4cyl you may be ok, if you can find an 8.25 for cheap that would be the way to go

also the front dana 30 is more than likely vacuum actuated, its ok but prone to failure when you need it
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with 3 inch coil spacers and shackles so c heap just buy them...and honesty if your wheeling go ahead and drop the money for the lift...because even if you fabercate the spacers and shacles you still have to buy shocks and and build drop bracket for your trac bar and when dropping the track bad you might want to drop the steering also... you can buy a 4.5 inch kit for around 650 with full leaf packs and lower control arms...look at rustys kit its a budget lift

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info. I'll definately take a look at the rustys budget lift... all the other 4"+ kits i saw were like... 1500... ridiculous... i bought the whole jeep for 600 hahah.... but ill look into it. I also found a few old TJ axles. I am unsure if they came off the same vehicle though. Also looked into putting a better motor into the ol' jeep. I have several options just sitting in the barn... 6.5L turbo diesel... 1.6L Rabbit Diesel... 3.1?L inline 5 mercedes 300SD diesel... and my uncle has a 3.9L 4BT cummins that came out of an old boat but i've heard they dont hold up too well. Thanks for all the info, i'll update in a week or so once i've gotten some things done.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my 4.5 inch kit for 450 bucks

Rough Country Add a leaf kit, and for the money I have been very impressed
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 1fox2go

i am by far most pleased with the rough country setup, ill save up the 600 needed for shipping and everything. Won't be updating this until I do something drastic or i have more questions regarding other things with it.

84-02 Jeep XJ 4.5in Suspension [623H] ------- 495.00 495.00
Nitro 9000 Shock Upgrade ---------------- 25.00 25.00
Black Shock Boots [87159] ---------------- 3.00 12.00
All prices are in US Dollars Subtotal -------------------- 532.00
Shipping 53.54
Tax 0.00
TOTAL -------------------------------------------- 585.54
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have black shock boots and sway bar extensions you can have 25 bucks plus shipping
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my opinion but i dont likie running shock boots for the fasc that it seems there alwasy full of mud and junk

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for all the info.

Mods completed since last update:
stock rear bumper FELL OFF... Fabbed a new one out of 3x3x1/4 Steel square tubing (this better be bulletproof)

since I dont want to change out spindles or swap axles (yet) i added 5 on 5 1/2" wheel adapters, still have yet to install bigger tires, all this ice weve been having im sticking to the skinnies until the ice clears.

Other than that I'm going to hold off again on the lift for now until I go to more haggerd places than indiana to go wheeling, nothing there is too horrible and I have yet to see our stock samuri get stuck.

Some questions I've had...

Would a front axle off of a 1978 Bronco work under the jeep without too much fabbing? I'd like to have manual locking hubs rather than the vacuum deal.

Has anyone dealt with the AX-4 Manual trans? will this even hold up to wheeling or am I wasting my time?

As long as I keep the lower output 2.5L in the jeep, will my dana 35 rear end be enough to power along the trails on a 35-40 degree hill or will the axle wrap be bouncing me all over? I've been piddling around the woods with it and with stock skinny tires and no lift and without disconnecting the sway bar it deals with tight trails pretty well, the only thing that really bothers me is the idea of having so much axle wrap because this setup on the jeep looks like its going to be veeerrry fun with 31-33's on the tires... Any input?
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwahahahahahaha

c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a front axle off of a 1978 Bronco work under the jeep without too much fabbing? I'd like to have manual locking hubs rather than the vacuum deal.
Why not just get a TJ shaft and change out the long side to do away with the vacume thing. It is a HP D30 so I would keep it. If you must have manual hubs you can swap a Grand Wagoneer D44 in the front.

Will my dana 35 rear end be enough to power along the trails on a 35-40 degree hill or will the axle wrap be bouncing me all over.
You probably have a Non Clip D35, better than the later D35s but still weak. I would worry more about snapping the shafts or ring gear than axle wrap. My suggestion would be to find a D44 out of a XJ/MJ or a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: