Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A different rim/tire query

View previous topic :: View next topic  
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: A different rim/tire query Reply with quote

I have a bud that has a set of 31" X 11.5" mudder style tires.
I had planned on putting them on NON-STOCK 15" X 7" steel rims, but with 1" less backspacing than the stock rims.
The jeep will be lifted with the BB spacers (2")
Does anyone know if I'll have any problems with clearance?
Here's the lowdown on the Jeep
'05 Wrangler X
4.0-6spd
softop
The spacers will be the only lift for a while. I have fitted one on the front WITHOUT THE SPACERS and it seemed to clear the steering issue well enough thanks to the wider track due to the 1" less BS.
But how about articulation clearance AFTER the BB spacers are in place?
Anyone that can answer this will have my greatest appreciation.
We leave for the 18th Ouachita, Arkansas Jamboree in a week, and I'd like to know before we go.
Thanks, Gen Willys. Very Happy

Moderator.......just realized, I probably should've posted this in the suspension/rim&tire forum.
Slap me....................I'm stupid. Embarassed
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine!
Welcome!
Let's see some pics!

General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just after I bought her. Pre lift and tires/rims.
I'll post the after and some Jamboree pics when I get back.
And thanks for the welcome!!

And this is my grandfather's "jeep" (as he calls it), but I think it's a Bantam of some type. I'm not really sure, but if anyone can identify it for sure.........LET ME KNOW!! I'd really like to restore or restify this thing.
It's cool as can be!!
wranglerRyan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does the 41MB on the hood stand for? i know the 05TJ.
Just wondering....The jeep looks pretty sweet though.
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB was the military designation put on the first "Jeeps" (in quotes because they were not known as Jeeps at the time the govt. ordered them into service,....... they were tagged that by the servicemen after they'd been in combat a while) '41 was the year they entered service-1941.
They were Willy's MB's
The early CJ's (CJ2A, or civilian jeep "2A" etc) were basically the civilian version of the MB

Thanks for the kind words......These were made for two years ('04-'05), and are very special in the Jeep world. They are based on the Wrangler X and have some equipment specific only to them. The differences are cosmetic, but not as simple as just a graphic package on the hood.
The hood graphics are actually an OPTION and are not put on at the factory. They could be ordered before the specific Jeep was built, but were put on at the dealership.
My particular Jeep had already been bought by someone else then brought back when their financing fell through (2,000 miles later !!??) It did not have the graphics yet. I ordered them. (obviously the '04's said 41MB-'04TJ....if equipped with the vinyl at all)
Other differences are obvious, the Moss Green paint, the Army Green fender flares, and Army green soft top and rims.
They ALL came with the "WILLY'S" graphic just above the JEEP.
The differences continue on the inside with camouflage fabric on the seats, both front and rear.
Being an "X" package Wrangler....it has the 4.0L six cyl. Mine also has the 6 speed trans. (Which I've had to take in for work already) I'd be interested in knowing how many '04-'05 WILLY'S EDITIONS came in automatic..........if any. So far I've only seen them with a manual trans.
I also find it interesting that there are NO graphics stating "WRANGLER", "X", or "4.0" anywhere. It simply looks like a tarted up "SE" 4 cylinder Jeep.
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB was the military designation put on the first "Jeeps" (in quotes because they were not known as Jeeps at the time the govt. ordered them into service,....... they were tagged that by the servicemen after they'd been in combat a while) '41 was the year they entered service-1941.
They were Willy's MB's
The early CJ's (CJ2A, or civilian jeep "2A" etc) were basically the civilian version of the MB

Thanks for the kind words......These were made for two years ('04-'05), and are very special in the Jeep world. They are based on the Wrangler X and have some equipment specific only to them. The differences are cosmetic, but not as simple as just a graphic package on the hood.
The hood graphics are actually an OPTION and are not put on at the factory. They could be ordered before the specific Jeep was built, but were put on at the dealership.
My particular Jeep had already been bought by someone else then brought back when their financing fell through (2,000 miles later !!??) It did not have the graphics yet. I ordered them. (obviously the '04's said 41MB-'04TJ....if equipped with the vinyl at all)
Other differences are obvious, the Moss Green paint, the Army Green fender flares, and Army green soft top and rims.
They ALL came with the "WILLY'S" graphic just above the JEEP.
The differences continue on the inside with camouflage fabric on the seats, both front and rear.
Being an "X" package Wrangler....it has the 4.0L six cyl. Mine also has the 6 speed trans. (Which I've had to take in for work already) I'd be interested in knowing how many '04-'05 WILLY'S EDITIONS came in automatic..........if any. So far I've only seen them with a manual trans.
I also find it interesting that there are NO graphics stating "WRANGLER", "X", or "4.0" anywhere. It simply looks like a tarted up "SE" 4 cylinder Jeep.
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS....sorry for the double post!! Embarassed I'm having difficulty posting. It keeps coming back
"INVALID SESSION-PLEASE RESUBMIT THE FORM"
and I clicked too soon in my impatience.

anyone else have this problem? It'll take 5 to 10 tries before it finally posts.
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not excepting cookies or something like that... Anyway welcome and very sharp looking Jeep...
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are unfamiliar with these, here is a couple shots showing more detail of the Jeep and the interior.

And this is a more recent shot with the rims/tires that it currently wears. The rims are from an '80's Plymouth Gran Fury police car and have one inch less backspace than the originals. They fit PERFECTLY......bolt circle and center hole are identical to stock. (Here's an excellent idea for those wanting or needing a wider track without using the spacer shims.) The rims come in 15" X 7" and 8" with the 8"ers being very difficult to find (and expensive) If anyone wants more info on them......just ask.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Jeep! Mr. Green They did come in auto's. An old friend had bought an 04 with an auto and hated it, he returned it after 3-4 days and got a manual. I like the Willys package. The only downfall is the 3.07 gears they come with, if only they came equipped like a Rubicon, 44's w/ 4.10's. Here's a pic of his Jeep, before he ruined it by putting on a black half top, changing the rims and removing his decals. If he was going to do all that anyway he should have just bought a base model and saved some $$. Rolling Eyes It's sitting on 32" swampers with 2" body and 2" spacers.

General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!! I agree......doesn't make sense to get a Willy's then remove the decals.
On the gear ratio topic......Wrangler X package Jeeps had a 3.73:1 option in place of the low 3.07 ratio......I know it's true because my Willy's has them.
4.0L-6 spd trans. and 3.73 gears. Short of a Rubicon, this is THE best combination out there. 'Course you had to pay 30G's for a Ruby. (I paid $17,000 out the door for mine)
Now THAT's bang for the buck!!

By the way.....I'm assuming that it's your orange Jeep sitting next to his?
You got pics posted of it anywhere? Looks nice!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if they changed the gears for the 05's, because his 04 has definitely got the 3.07's. Confused
Yes, that is my orange CJ7. There's a few pics of it around here!
I took these the other day, that's my buddy's 97 TJ w/4" lift on 33's.

lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orange is that a j-10 or like an old chief or FS cherokee...which by the way after CJ5's and CJ7's the FS cheif 2 doors like they built on trucks are my favorite Very Happy

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orange;
That may be. My co-worker has an '05 Unlimited and it has the 3.07's with the 4.0L and 6-spd.
Also, I know that the 3.07's were sure-grip diffs but you could not get the 3.73's that way. (bummer)
But I plan on adding some type of locker later anyway. OX or ARB.
Nice looking CJ too.
Up the road theres a pretty nice '87 (or is it '89) Grand Wagoneer for sale.
I think it's either 87K or 97K miles, V-8 4X4. If memory serves they're asking $1,500. It has a VERY nice burgundy leather interior. Clean!!
That seems like a steal to me.
I took some pics (If anyone is interested.....spread the word......I'll post 'em when I can.)
It would be a shame for someone to buy it and just beat it up anywhere but on the trails!!
General TJ Willys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way.......I bet it's a chilly ride, there in Springfield in the winter months.
Kinda drafty maybe??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: