Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to make my XJ run cooler

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: how to make my XJ run cooler Reply with quote

alright today i was doing alot of work inside the jeep pulling off my old tint and installing some trick switches and my new walmart special cobra Cb but i live it florida so it was 100 degrees out side and raining so i was inside the jeep with the engine running and the ac going....well my temp light came on and my water temp gauge was reading about 240 on the gauge which i usally run about 205- 215 on a hot day so my engine at 240 and both fans running i shut the jeep off it made me worrie about my cooling system but ive noticed when off road my light comes on while on a slow trail and in traffic or say at the bank it comes on...i already have a 180 theromsat and a bypass switch on the fan so i can run it constatly..or let it runn automatically...but my question is with out going to a bigger radiator how can i keep cool....ive also noticed the top of my fan shroud is gone... is that a problem??? what should i do?? and i have a brush gaurd type bumper with hella 500 lights in my grill does that effect it alot??

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts

Last edited by lakeland713xj on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you flushed it recently? Sometimes spraying out the radiator and condensor fins helps, they get all caked up.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i installed my gauges and thermostat about 3 months ago i flushd it and cleaned my theromstat housign for a good hour and and today before i installed my sutff i washed the jeep real good and that was once thing i made sure off was to get the lovebugs off the radiator and it seemed pretty clean

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a radiator really worth it... what about a 160 therostat and do they make high flow thermo housing for the 4.0 ive looked and looked cant find em

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to a 160 degree thermostat does nothing. The ECU does not consider the engine warmed up (also called closed loop) until it hits 180-185 degrees. All 160 degree thermostat will do is make the engine take longer to hit closed loop and thus burn more gas until it does.

Here's links to a hiflow housing and thermostat. I run both of them on my rig.

Here's some other things you can do: http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_cooling.html

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you running the radiator phantum??? if you dont mind you seem someone who knows what there talking about if you dont mind could you tell me what your running cooling isnt one of my strong points on vechiles...i know hot bad to cold bad in the middle- perfect

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like phantum said, running a 160 thermostat wont help. a 180-190 would be perfect. my jeep uses a mechanical fan and it doesnt have that problem, but if part of the shroud is missing I would try rigging something to close the shroud and try moving the lights from the middle of the grille. if all else fails i would probably get a higher power electrical fan, or even a dual fan system
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shroud does alot for the cooling system , some hella 500's will block air flow and make you get less cooling , as the phantom already said a thermostat only controls minimum temperature .

your gage could be reading wrong as well . a flush is a good idea . 1/4" of scale build up is = to 3" of iron so getting that crap out of there is a good idea .
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gauges are prettydecent autometers im hoping there not wrong and its just the top of my fan shroud and i cant move the hella;s there molded into the grill gaurd

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think the lights arent blocking air flow enough to make it run hot... I would probably just close the shroud first and see if that helps, if not I would look into getting some higher cfm fans/fan. Im thinking about switching to an electric fan and I have a dual fan set that cranks about 2500-3000 cfm, got it at a swap meet for 20 bucks Smile

edit: again, a flush is another cheap way to help out
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:
when i installed my gauges and thermostat about 3 months ago i flushd it fir a good good hour and today before i installed my sutff i washed the jeep real good and that was once thing i made sure off was to get the lovebugs off the radiator and it seemed pretty clean

already flushed....and where is room for dual fans??? im sure its possible but i dont see any room?

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is talking about getting a second XJ electric fan in place of the mechanical fan

I know its been said a hundred times but if you do a lot of mud make sure the inside of the radiator is clean as well

It could also be the water pump blades are gone, I've seen it happen before. People dont change their anitfreeze, but that would be an extreme measure and a last resort check
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and no, i mean a 2 in 1 fan system, two side by side fans. one fan on a truck that overheats obviously isnt cutting it, so two fans pushing the same amount of air to the radiator will obviously help.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xj has two fans, one mechanical and one electrical, he said both fans are running...
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said everything has been checked

new thermostat 180 *.....check
FLUSHED AND CLANED RADIATOR...check
No leaks...check
proper aintifreeze levels...check
radiator cap in proper working condition...check
fan clutch working...check
electric fan...working
new hoses...check

everything seems to be right...besides my temp...both my stock temp light and my after market gauge are working correctly

maybe one of those faulty...all i kno is a run fine at highway speed and when i stop and stand i get real hot and my dash lights up like a damn christmas tree.... i have read the writeups but how hard would it be to install bigger fans and radiator ....im going to order the housing on friday when i get paid

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: