Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to make my XJ run cooler

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomynoks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a good fan shroud? How old is the water pump? They're cheap and easy to replace. I wouldn't go for the bigger radiator or more fans... YET seems that something is not right if it gets hot sitting/idling. Find the problem.. the problem isn't that it's not getting enough air.... unless there's something wrong with your fan or fan clutch... radiator...etc... have you checked the fan clutch? You should feel resistance when you turn the fan by hand... if turns too easily or freely, you may need a new fan clutch.

Tom
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
tomynoks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,

Here's some good info on fan conversion:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i havent....ill have to check and see...and my fan shroud was ghetto rigged i have to take a trip to the yard and find one

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
tomynoks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're like $25 on ebay.... NEW

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=cherokee+fan+shroud&category0=
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: re: make xj run cooler Reply with quote

heres my thoughts on your sitch. if your xj is equipped with the stock up country package you will already have the HD cooling, and you can work with what you have if not, some minor mods may be nessicary. if your fan shroud is broken it will drastically effect your cooling because it serves as a tunnell for the fan to suck air in from outside, without it, the fan is just somewhat circulating hot air from the engine compartment, and having those lights there doesnt help. i would like to take this chance to say once and for all, installing a lower temp thermostat will not make any engine run cooler, it will just start circulating the water sooner, but during operation the engine will run at the exact same temp. i would never run a vechle at idle with the AC on, because the compressor gets most of its cooling from air circulating with the vehicle is in motion, especially in a small area like the xj, it would be vournable to overheating, especially in conditions like that. so my opinion is, short of what you have already done, do a good flush and drain of the radiator, and use that orange coolant reccomended for jeeps with some Water Wetter made by RedLine Oil, and of course fix the fan shroud, id get rid of the lights as a last resort if at all, cause im sure they look sweet.

-----------------
99 XJ Sport
AX15 5-speed
Dynomax Exhaust
K&N Intake
Jet Performance Chip
BF Mud Kings / Lifted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a new catheter for my water temp gauge to see if my old one was faultly and got a shroud from a junk yard and putthem in today ... my dad who is an electrical engineer at a power plant brought home a digital inline temp reader that pluged inline with my radiator hose before and after the radiator...my gauges are right on and im running about 195 to 200 in stop and go traffic and about 190 on the interstate ...it was about 75 degrees allday so...i guess we will see what happens when the temp hits about 100 degrees this summer

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like great temps.... I think normal for an XJ is 195, so you're in good shape.
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, normal for XJs is around 205 ~ 210 deg. 195 is definitely good though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: