Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front drive shaft on rear???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: front drive shaft on rear??? Reply with quote

i read some where about people doing an SYE and running a front drive shaft in the rear does any one do this?????sounds like it cut down on alot of money...and suggestions

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: front drive shaft on rear??? Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:
i read some where about people doing an SYE and running a front drive shaft in the rear does any one do this?????sounds like it cut down on alot of money...and suggestions

It doesn't save much, if anything at all. You can get a new shaft built for about $250. This has all new parts.

Or you can get a junkyard shaft for $30-$75, spend $100 on shortening and rebalance. You're looking at $130-$175 and still have all the old joints. Rebuild it for another roughly $100 and you're at the cost of a new one.
badger

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: front drive shaft on rear??? Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
lakeland713xj wrote:

It doesn't save much, if anything at all. You can get a new shaft built for about $250. This has all new parts.

Or you can get a junkyard shaft for $30-$75, spend $100 on shortening and rebalance. You're looking at $130-$175 and still have all the old joints. Rebuild it for another roughly $100 and you're at the cost of a new one.

actually it all comes down to lift amounts.between the SYE and say 4 to 6 inches of lift and a front XJ shaft will fit.as stated though you will have to rebuild the shaft with new joints and double cardan joint which shouldn't cost more then 50 bucks depending on what type of joint you go with

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a really old post of mine but if the front drive shaft is in good condition why do you have to rebuild it?

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
badger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were are you getting a shaft that you know it to be in good shape.second you are putting all new parts into the SYE why wouldn't you spend the 50 bucks to be sure the driveshaft is in good shape as well .

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a local drive shaft shop has one and it looks brand new the rubber boot isnt ed and the grease fittings are still shinny you can tell it was never off roaded and plus i didnt kno it was that cheap to rebuild it...but you have got to remeber badger....im in college full time and only 10% of earnings go to my jeep account....which when you do the math is about 25 bucks a week average...thats two weeks of work for those parts .....my lift and other little doo dads came because i got cut a check from the finacial department...tuition well spent

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
badger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean you can use it in that condition as long as it fits.remember you will want to have an inch or so of compression still left on the shaft when in place.

also you won't know the distance from yoke to yoke till you do the SYE, this is if you haven't done it yet.

lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really dreading the pulling of the t case and ing it up to find my self screwed....i mean after the clutch replacement im more confident but i dont like the thought of o-rings and chains and gears that if not done correctly could result it an expenive failure

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: