Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherokee (1997) electronic accelerator problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottager

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Cherokee (1997) electronic accelerator problem Reply with quote

1997 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 Turbo Diesel -- electronic accelerator

Originally posted this last month on behalf of someone else, who's now desperate! -- he's still attempting to resolve the problem on a customer's vehicle. Customer's relaxed, says 'leave it with you' till sorted, but it's knowing where to go with it now...

Problem is lost acceleration: no response from the pedal, totally dead. Vehicle starts first time every time on the key, ticks over, and will move under engine power when put in gear (max of about 15mph), but without any acceleration.

New pedal fitted, still nothing. Checked operation of EGR valve (seemed sticky), cleaned and checked vacuum to valve -- all seems OK there.

After further investigation, with auto-electrician checking wiring up to the ECU, and pins & plug on ECU cleaned, it worked for about a week but then failed again -- back to no acceleration apart from brief intervals when cleaned again.

Someone in a Jeep dealership suggested it's either the wiring from pedal to the pump (been checked out, seems OK), or the injection pump itself. Pump not taken off to be checked so far -- big job which he's not inclined to do (or have the customer pay for) if not necessary. He still feels the problem's more likely the ECU, but over to you... what do you think?

Questions:
Has anyone experienced this problem?
Anyone had ECU problems which could cause this?
Does anyone know a firm in the UK who can check operation of the ECU?
Or does anyone in the UK have a good secondhand unit at reasonable cost?

All details from ECU label:

|||||||||||||||||||| VMD
T0567 7:10-33 ZNMAB
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
P56041707AB 56041 707AB

Any advice, pointers, suggestions on causes or remedies welcome from US or anywhere else, but as we're in the UK location of secondhand unit or testing will have to be here... any UK readers able to help out with this part of it?

Many thanks to all...
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the ecu is working after you clean it, but then failing again my guess would be the ecu is bad or its not getting power
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it only takes like half an hour to take off a injector pump , a replacement is probably 2-3 grand .

so i would change the computer first .

i would check the injector pump because i understand them , i don't really like computers or at least the ones on vehicles , there so primitive .

what type of fuel system do they use?
cottager

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Cherokee (1997) electronic accelerator problem Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will pass that on -- and Brad, will ask about the fuel and come back to you. Sorry for the 'lag' with this, but I'm just the online go-between and know nothing myself :)
And still interested in UK sources for testing or s/hand unit if anyone over here is reading.
Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: