Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whoa... Seriously n00b question!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Whoa... Seriously n00b question! Reply with quote

I found an odd gap in my knowledge as I have been researching getting ready to start my buggy... I know most of the people here do not do buggies but you guys are nice and on other forums I would get deballed for asking this sort of question: How the heck to you get the curved cut on DOM tube where it butts up against another piece of tube? I got a chops saw so I could cut lengths and stuff and an about to get a bender (they were out when I went to buy one) but I cannot figure out how to cut a curve so the end of one fits snugly agaisnt the side of another. I asked a friend (Just kind of wondering out loud... He certainly has not done any fabrication of anything let alone a buggy) and his advice was:
Laser, plasma torch or water jet... All computer controlled of course Wink

Somehow I am guessing there is a cheaper way to do this...

Help?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is, it's called a tubing notcher. Wink
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet thanks... I have even found a cheap one (Harbor freight crap FTW) and no deballing had to occure. LMAO.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my dragster, we hand cut them with a grinding wheel and a good eye. They take longer this way and the fit might not be as good, but it can be done without special tools.

FWIW
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damm dude.. The tube notcher is like $40... I would think if you're BUILDING a car a tool that cheap would be worth it...
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan wrote:
Damm dude.. The tube notcher is like $40... I would think if you're BUILDING a car a tool that cheap would be worth it...

Damn dude, it was 20 years ago and these "cheap" tools didn't exist. Sometimes a little intelligence know how can be used without spending money.........Dude
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying doing it yourself is BAD... I am just impressed with your determination... I mean that quite honestly.
I used to know a guy who wanted to adapt some surface mount parts for through hole use on a printed circuit board we were working on... He would cut up the PCBs in old nintendo cartriges and solder his parts to the pads where the memory IC were then he would painstakingly add pins all to avoid paying $5.95 for SOIC to DIP converters (it was was company money obviously but he was budget minded). Now THATS determined.
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw a computer program that you could download/order from a link on PBB's tech section that helps out with the curves. you punch in the OD size, ID size, OD of object it's being fitted against, and the angle in which it'll be fit against it. the computer then calculates the curve, composes it to a flat drawing, you print it out, cut it on the wavy line, wrap it around the DOM tube, trace out that line, and follow it with your grinder or tool of choice. seemed like a longer process than some are willing to carry out, but it guaranteed precision notches that fit first time/every time.
just a thought - chris.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. That would work... I'll just buy the tube notcher though... Its easy, fairly cheap and I do not trust myself to be able to reliably use a grinder that accurately... Tube is to exspensive for me to risk wasting it... LOL

Then again I guess thick tube won't grind away that fast so the chances of making a mistake are pretty slim... But I can see going through more than $40 of grinding wheels making a buggy that way.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of tube are you using? i would just use a grinder , cuz im cheep . some times you have to use a grinder anyway , the notcher can't make every notch right .
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be mostly 2in od, .125 wall DOM.

There might be some smaller stuff in a couple of spots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: