Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free MJ why not, but I need some opinions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Use your MJ as:
Beater
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Daily Driver
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Not Worth It
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Free MJ why not, but I need some opinions Reply with quote

I was offered a free MJ by one of my friends the other day (4 cylinder 2wd). All he wants is the cd player which I can get a new one if I want anyway. He told me one of the cylinders has "fried valves" and dosen't fire. I don't know if the thing can be rebuilt but I may just drop in a new engine either way.

Here is my question: as long as I have a place to put it and seeing that it will be my second vehicle should I use it as a daily driver if its in good shape and I can make it run right (better gas milage than my v8 zj), and continue to use my zj for off road fun, or should I find an xj doner and make the mj 4wd drive and use it as an off road beater?

I would like to make the mj 4wd even if I use it as a daily driver (but that may be a little down the line) is this possible? What am I looking at? I'm thinking it will need a t-case, new front axle, different transmission, and new drive shafts. I would like to drop a 4.0L in there at some point, is that possible? Can I just get all this out of an xj?

Unfortuantly I don't know anything about mjs and not too much about this particular vehicle so I don't have much information for you guys to go on. But assuming I can get it running better and its in good shape, what do you guys think?

Thanks
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a free vechile is always worth something

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could always buy it and keep it around till I get a car. Then swap my 5.2L in there, just for fun Very Happy . I just don't know how hard its going to be to replace the offending valve. The guy I was talking to said it was going to cost him 2000 dollars to get it done. He was talking about drilling something out and whatnot. I really don't know how it could cost that much to just fix that. I mean even engine rebuilds I've looked at aren't that bad and most of the price seems like its labor.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
ehall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:
a free vechile is always worth something

usually worth negative, since there's usually a lot of mandatory repairs attached to it
ehall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
I guess I could always buy it and keep it around till I get a car. Then swap my 5.2L in there, just for fun Very Happy . I just don't know how hard its going to be to replace the offending valve. The guy I was talking to said it was going to cost him 2000 dollars to get it done. He was talking about drilling something out and whatnot. I really don't know how it could cost that much to just fix that. I mean even engine rebuilds I've looked at aren't that bad and most of the price seems like its labor.

could need a new head if he's let it get bad enough, could need a lot more than that too

a full rebuild can easily run over $3k if you need to replace major gutworks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing to do would to buy a complete 4x4 xj or mj . i bought one for 200$ with little damage to the front end , it was a 91 fully loaded limited with a 4.0 .

so if the wrecking yard wants a couple thou remind them they payed 200$ for the whole dam thing
ehall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Free MJ why not, but I need some opinions Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
Here is my question: as long as I have a place to put it and seeing that it will be my second vehicle should I ...

I'd say that if you have somewhere to work on it without pissing off the neighbors and if you have access to disposable funds, then use it as a hobby horse and build the MJ you want to have. The engine and tranny both sound weak to me, so you are looking at $5k in quality reman equivalents right there just to buy the parts, and if there is more you want to do or if you think you'll be paying a shop to do the work, then you'll need to add that to the money plan and move accordingly.

The engine and drivetrain are the most expensive things to replace, so if you think you'll have to do anything with them you need to think about it before you start putting money into the small stuff. Nothing pisses you off more than spending good money on cleanup stuff then you find out that the engine is shot and will cost $5k in parts and labor.
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the more I think about it the more I lean towards using it as a daily driver if I can fix it up and its in good shape. I won't have time till sunday to actually look at it but if it is in otherwise good shape and I can fix the engine I could use the extra gas milage. I figure I can use my zj off road or in bad weather. Its already got a small lift and you can't argue with a v8 off road, why stop a good thing Very Happy

If I decide to get it fixed and do all the work myself how much am I looking at spending. I have always wanted to learn to do engine work but didn't want to do it on my current daily driver. Am I just looking at rebuilding it from the top of the block up? I mean if I got a new head, used all the old parts and replaced the bad ones, I don't really see how it could be that bad. Of course I've only worked on the outside of the engine, not in it.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
ehall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it to a trusted mechanic and have them pull the valve covers to see what it looks like inside. It might just be gummed up or leaking, or it might be shattered.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Free MJ why not, but I need some opinions Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
Here is my question: as long as I have a place to put it and seeing that it will be my second vehicle should I use it as a daily driver if its in good shape and I can make it run right (better gas milage than my v8 zj), and continue to use my zj for off road fun, or should I find an xj doner and make the mj 4wd drive and use it as an off road beater?

I would like to make the mj 4wd even if I use it as a daily driver (but that may be a little down the line) is this possible? What am I looking at? I'm thinking it will need a t-case, new front axle, different transmission, and new drive shafts. I would like to drop a 4.0L in there at some point, is that possible? Can I just get all this out of an xj?

I think you'd be better off to just get an XJ and use it as a beater! You'll save a lot of time! If the MJ had a good running 4.0 then it would be a bit better. With the bad 4cyl. you'll be looking at swapping out the engine, tranny, t-case, driveshafts, and front diff. You could find a cheap XJ and spend the time off roading that you'd be spending on rebuilding the MJ! Mr. Green
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm pretty much past using it as a beater. I'm just going to use my zj off road and in bad weather.

ehall, I don't think of myself as a slouch when it comes to turning a wrench, especially if I had instructions, but do you think I need to take it to a mechanic to check on the valves. I mean it seems pretty easy to pop off the valve covers to take a peak inside. I might not have first hand knowledge on what an engine looks like inside but I'm pretty sure I could tell if something is wrong by comparing it to another cylinder that is operating correctly.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
ehall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good experienced mechanic can tell a lot by some simple tests, listening with a stethoscope, etc.
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess having a lot of experience can be the difference between chasing it down part by part and getting it right the first time.

Also got a little bit more info, the guy who's giving it to me is one of my friends and he got it from another guy. It has been driven on three cylinders recently so its not a total write off as of right now. I will get a chance to look at it within a couple days and see if its worth it.

And I did get a place to keep it so really if its a write off I'm looking at a free engine rebuild lesson and some spare parts for my friends xj.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently pushed a turbo sprint off of a 2000 foot cliff , i have to say it was rather enjoyable .

just putting it out there hahaha .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

build it for off road, its free, cheaper to lift, free, I'm sure you can find a motor and trans, hell I'll help
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: