Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free MJ why not, but I need some opinions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Use your MJ as:
Beater
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Daily Driver
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Not Worth It
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
i recently pushed a turbo sprint off of a 2000 foot cliff , i have to say it was rather enjoyable .

just putting it out there hahaha .

Unfortunatly I don't live near any 2000 ft drops. Crying or Very sad I have always wanted to take all the fluids and flamible stuff out of a car and get all my friends together and shoot it up.

1fox2go wrote:
build it for off road, its free, cheaper to lift, free, I'm sure you can find a motor and trans, hell I'll help

I might just start using my zj more as a beater, if I get the mj running right I can't pass up on an increase in fuel economy. I figure my zj has a bigger motor, has a lift, and even though the lifts are more expensive the trade off is a more advanced suspension that make it a more reasonable choice for off roading. Now once I get out of college and try and nail down a real job and maybe a newer truck, maybe I will just drop the zj's v8 in the mj along with an NV4500 manual with some dana 44s. That would be the ticket and I will definantly let you know fox, if something like that is going down.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:

Unfortunately I don't live near any 2000 ft drops. Crying or Very sad I have always wanted to take all the fluids and flammable stuff out of a car and get all my friends together and shoot it up.

why would you take the flammables out? hahaha , that was half the fun first it got jumped till it gushed oils of sorts and then ran till it died , to many rounds from the 12 gauge and then towed for 20 km/s and pushed off a 2000 foot cliff . lets not talk about hey i bet it would be fun to ride in it while being towed and bailing at 80 kph because it got scary and some one wouldn't stop .

honestly , a daily driver woudl be cool , or just go crazy on it and use the gc as a daily driver .

you really got to ask whats the cheapest and best way to do that .
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days I'm just going to drive something until the engine just explodes or something. It would be a lot of fun. Although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ride in a towed vehicle, not unless I'm at least wearing a helmet.

I think it woudl be cheaper to make the mj my daily driver since it should get better gas milage. I mean its a 4 banger, 2wd, manual transmission, if I can't get better than 16 miles per gallon out of it, I quit. Of course if I don't fix the valves and put up with the awful sounds, I might be able to get 30mpg out of the 3 cylinders.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the mj will get better mileage, the 4cyl xjs dont get better mileage nor the 4 cyl wranglers. But hey you may get lucky. Let me know when your ready to fab up some nasty stuff rofl
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after talking to the guy he said he thinks the mechanic said the cylinder itself is shot. After looking at it today the body is in outstanding shape, I could find any bit of rust on it so I might just go with the plan of using it as an off road beater. All I need to do now is find an xj for cheap, maybe one thats been rearended or with high milage and rebuild the engine and start putting it together. With as good of shape as the body is in paying just 40 for that woudl be sweet. I'll feel kind of bad about owning two gas guzzlers but whatever.

Also a funny tidbit of info, apparently there is no key beacsue it was having problems starting. So after trying several things they found that if they turned the ignition without the key in it would start. Pretty crazy. I might just put in a two button starter and hide one of the buttons and wire them so you have to press both at the same time to start. I just hope I can get ahold of a key that work on the doors so I don't have to keep it unlocked all of the time.

After finding a cheap xj swaping motors is going to be a grand old time. Is there any nasty wiring that will have to be contended with if I get a new I6 thats fuel injected.

By the way, sorry for all the back and forth but I just saw it today and found out what was really wrong with the engine.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it certainly sounds like the right vehicle to learn about replacing engines

Smile
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine doing the swap, just need motor mounts, wiring maybe. Thats why having the donor xj there would be great. You got a place to work on it? Let me know Im free a couple nites during the week, be glad to help
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a place to put it but I don't have an engine hoist or anything like that. I guess I will probably have to rent one or something. I'm not sure how soon I will be able to get things together to work on it, I've got so much school work and regular work right now I only get one day off a week. Things will definantly slow down after christmas though.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry pickers arent expensive, good to have too. One day a week is plenty, makes you pace yourself

I got work and school too, it blows but just think, with the money you make working a ton, when you get that time off, all the money you made and hopefully saved you can buy cool stuff with. Thats what I do anyway
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me know if you see any cheap xjs laying around. Are the transmissions the same for 2wd and 4 wd models. I think I remember reading that the transmissions were different.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are the 4wd trans have the output that allows a tcase to bolt to it
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I thought. I would like to keep it with a manual transmission. But if worst comes to worst I could always go with an automatic.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a xj with a manual trans
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've found one, I just hope the owner holds on it to it for a few weeks till I have the money.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easy part is bolting it in the hard part is gettng the connectors...but will he have to mexx with any linkage mounting places on the body for the T-case because i think on mine it was a bolt on the body that had to be popped out

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: