Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

n00b with a 96 ZJ possible tranny content

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: n00b with a 96 ZJ possible tranny content Reply with quote

So I have a stock 96 zj and every time i stop at a stop at a light and hit the gas to go quickly it feels like a gear is slipping and finally catches. So my question is could i get away with just a band job on the tranny or do i need to rebuild.

I'm also currently looking to mod it to go off road and i have a lift kit for a 95 xj will it fit?

im just a college kid looking for fun and on a budget so any tips would be appreciated
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ has rear leaf spring so the lift kit will not really work.. (The front might but not worth the hassle.. ) You can get a budget boost that will lift you 2 inches from Kevinsjeepparts.com or many other places.. And they should be around 100 bones..

As for the tranny.. You may be able to just adjust the bands .. If you know how go for it.. IF not find out how much a tranny shop would charge versus a rebuild.. And see whats your best option..

Adjusting the bands will probably get you a few thousand miles out of it unless its totally screwed..

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bolster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I've been checking out kevin's for a while now and i really want to get my money right so that i can get the long arm system. And I am going to a school for auto so i will be able to rebuild a tranny in a few months if the band job doesn't go as planned. Right now I'm adding everything up because the guy who had this before me neglected it and let it turn into crap. So far I've been able to do all the work thank god. Which was a new radiator, tranny lines, and a new starter. I still need a hood that isn't rusted to crap and my rearend is on it's last legs.

but thanks again for you're advice on it.

/jeep wave
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im an XJ guy but couldnt he put the ZJ front springs out back and use the XJ lift springs up front

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
fishjrl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds pretty right but you want to check the compression ratings and make sure that that is the ride you want
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much lift does the spring swap give you

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear the front springs wil give you about 3.5 inches of lift in the back, if they are springs out of a V8 Grand. Of course it could be less because of spring fatigue drop depending on how old the springs are.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
bolster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been told this lift kit is 2-3 inches
fishjrl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did the spring swap with new OME springs for the front and four one inch spacers. overall it is a 4.5" lift if the springs are newer. without spacers it is a 3.5" lift.

i would recommend some springs from a 98 at a junk yard because they will have less sag and can be gotten for cheap. also you could buy some 1" lift front springs and put them in the back for a 4.5" lift
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: