Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

off-road/lift advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akryllix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: off-road/lift advice Reply with quote

alright, so i have a 97 xj sport. (stock except for a short ram)

im still in school and this is my first car, so there's not a chance in hell im going to be able to afford a suspension lift, but i found a 2.25" body lift with shocks on 4wheelcustoms.com (im going to be on the road about 80% of the time anyway)

they claim you can clear 31x10.5 tires, which is what i planned to do, but i heard mixed opinions. i really dont want to have to modify the fenders, but i dont want the tires to rub everytime i hit a bump. so i thought about getting 30"s, but i have 28"s on there now, so i dont know it will be worth spending like $400-$500 on tires if it will rarely make a difference.

so can anyone give me ideas?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not a body lift its a spacer lift....you can go 3.5 inchs or a cherokee for cheap with a decent kit...check out www.rustysoffroad.com and lift it then wheel it...they maybe upgrade to some A/T or find some used M/T's with alot of thread left[/url]

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ's are unibody, that's why you can't do a body lift. Are you sure it was a kit for a Cherokee? If it was, it would not be just spacers...there's would be either extended shackles or an add-a-leaf (AAL) along with two spacers for the coils. If it is a kit with a 2.25" spacer/block for the leaf springs...don't buy it. Do a search on lift blocks or budget boost....there's lots of threads on here with info about the different types of budget boosts and why lift blocks are bad.

As far as tires....here's the deal, doing a budget boost will allow you to run 31's. That's not the issue...the issue is running 10.5" wide tires on stock rims. Regardless of lift, those tires on stock rims will rub the lower control arms when turning sharp. The way around that is get rims with less backspacing so that it moves the tire away from the LCA....but by moving it out it hits the fender. Catch-22....

The solution, cut the fenders back....but since you don't want to do that, I would go with a budget boost and run 30's on the stock rims. You might have a little rubbing on the LCA's at full wheel lock, but you can fix that with a washer or two in the steering stops...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Akryllix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, it's not a body lift, pardon my crappy terminology.

it does have spacers for the coils, and shocks, and add-a-leaf.
and i am going get some new rims, because i want to keep the stock tires just in case i need them (when i go to inspection, road trips, etc.)
Akryllix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this sucks.

i just came up with a way to afford a 3" suspension lift. (friend of a friend who works in a shop) and i just found out im not allowed to get it.
i hate this fuckin state.
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the lift laws for Jersey?

Akryllix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's 6", but the real problem is that the car cant be in my name until im 18, so lets say i fuck it up off-road, it goes on my mom's insurance, and her insurance would go up, especially when they find out i have a lift when i do get it inspected.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kno here in florida lifting and tires doesnt effect your insureance...4 wheel drive will but not lifting it and tires...my buddy SAS his tundra on 15 inchs and 38.5's with added t cases and his insureance hasnt changed...

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurance company wont know unless you turn it in to them. As for messing it up off road that shouldnt need to be turned in. Just takes money out of your pocket to fix it. And if your state allows 6 inches, your going with 3 why cant you get it inspected?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see a need for those kind of laws...in florida as long as your tires and DOT approved( no one ever checks) and you have a form of light under 56 inches your good....and it has to fit between the lines

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the "6 inches of lift is illegal" thing. How do they enforce that? Most states that have laws dictating how high or low a vehicle can be, determine it based the vehicles GVWR vs. a measurement to the ground from a fixed point on the vehicle. Usually that measurement is taken from the bottom of the bumper, frame rails, etc., etc.

For example: in VA, if it's registered as a passenger vehicle, the measurement from the bottom of the bumper to the ground can't exceed 22". On a stock XJ, the bumper is something like 19" or 20" off the ground...making most lifts "illegal". But if you register it as a light truck, (GVWR 4500 lbs or less) the measurement is 28". Either way, no cop will pull you over for it....but if you get pulled over for doing something stupid, they can (and sometimes will) throw the book at you.

What is the actual law in Jersey?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: