Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OEM rim swap?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: OEM rim swap? Reply with quote

Hey guys in in the market to swap out my piece of shit spare for a full size rim/tire combo... And I will be stopping by the junk yard this weekend to look for decent OEM Jeep rims and possibly okay tires... But after what happened yesterday I'll never have a "donut" spare again!

Here are the cliff notes of yesterday... Passenger rear tire lost air rapidly, but not a full blow out. It wasn't the tread, but the exterior side wall as the cloth was showing through but not the steel belts. I had several rids that were popped on that tire so it was a matter of time.

So I pulled over to a decent spot near my house to change the tire, took everything off, threw the "donut" on and rolled about 10 feet and the spare blew off the rim. I was F*cking pissed at this point and just drove the piece of shit to my house which was about 3/4 of a mile away. Needless to say I didn't worry about the spare rim as it's steel.

I got a new tire thrown on there last night at Pep boys, and now I'm off to find a used rim I can throw a new tire on or just keep a decently used tire on for shit like this... So I'm want to keep my options open and when I go to the junk yard will the same year(s) CJ model rims work? They have the same 5 spoke rim offered as the XJ, and do the Grand Cherokee's have the same offset/lug pattern?

Thank ahead of time guys I appreciate any help! And yes I searched but the majority of the results were lift/tire size opinions...

Later,

Anthony
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just need to know what other jeeps have the same offset and lug pattern as my 2000 XJ?

Thanks guys
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've found, correct me if I'm wrong... These have the same lug pattern of 5 - 114 and have the offset of -19mm

96-00 CJ 15"
93-99 Grand Cherokee 15"

And of course another XJ, but what else is a possibly? S10's???

Thanks for looking,

Anthony
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you meant TJ instead of CJ. CJ's use a 5 x 5.5" bolt pattern. I would look at TJ's, YJ's, XJ's, MJ's, and ZJ's, if you want Jeep rims with a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford Explorers use 5x4.5 wheels and I know they'll work on an XJ because I swapped tires with my buddys explorer for awhile to see how the tires ride.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful with ford explorer rims , i got a free set of stock mags off a ford explorer , they fit great on the front but the rear ones would not clear the center of the axle .

basically they didnt work at all . i had a 91 with dana 35 . the explorer was early 90's with the ford 8.8
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn I'm glad you said that. I completely forgot I had to really crank down on the lugnuts in the rear to keep them centered. You might wanna steer clear of explorer rims for long term use.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya mine plain old would not go on , i was going to mill them out but my jeep is no more so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: