Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TJ spark noise, interfering with Radio Reception

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvertoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: TJ spark noise, interfering with Radio Reception Reply with quote

So one of the first things I did to my TJ (it's a 1999, I just got it about a month ago) is put in a aftermarket head unit that I had leftover from one of my previous vehicles. I instantly noticed that there was a terrible amount of noise, particularly in the AM/FM realm, but not on CDS. So I thought that since it was an older head unit that it had just gone bad, so I replaced it, only to be very dissapointed to find that I still had the same problem with the second head unit.

The noise is only while the engine is running. It's not alternator whine, it's more of a buzzing sound, but it does vary frequency and intensity with RPMs. I don't get the noise when the CD is playing (it not noticeable at least.) The factory head unit sounded even worse in FM/AM than the aftermarket ones are, I thought the head unit was shot.

I put in new spark plugs when I got the vehicle, which had no effect on the poor sound quality.

So. I don't honestly know what the problem is here, and I'm not so sure it's something that can easily be fixed.

The ground strap that I'm connected to goes to the instrument cluster.

Any tips on how to get rid of this noise?
whlstnd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check you plug wires. redo the ground from the radio. it should go to a chassis ground not the inst cluster. make sure your ant is plugged in all the way.
mike
cherokee94

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insulation on the plug leads could be the cause.

on old leads the cap over the spark plug end can lose effectiveness
silvertoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to mess with the grounding a little today, I added some ground wire and tried connecting it to various locations on the vehicle. It made no difference whatsoever. I took a look at the spark plug wires and they actually appeared to be in good shape. The only thing they say on the side is "Superior Made in USA" So I don't know if that's a brand or what. I plugged and unplugged each wire and inspected it and made sure it was back on properly. It made no difference either. Did anyone make a switch to a different set of wires and have this problem go away?
Any help would be aprreciated.
Thanks.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shielded antenna wire .

try grounding right to the battery?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: