Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ/XJ parts crossmatch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wafflesxoxo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: ZJ/XJ parts crossmatch Reply with quote

I own a 95 ZJ with a blown motor (knocks HARD) and great body, and an an 88 XJ with a terrible body and serious interior electronics issues (has a mind of it's own), but a very strong low (125,000 miles) mileage engine and a ton of upgrades front and back (quick detach sway bar, beefier parts all over the place). The motor swap won't be much of a problem, I plan to go with the XJ's head and block with the ZJ's induction, a header and a couple of other things I have for the it.
I'm looking for any kind of helpful tips that might be good to know, things to watch out for, but otherwise I just have one question -- are front side suspensions the same between the two? I haven't gotten to look at them side by side yet but they look identical.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the front suspension is the same, but the zj has a low pinion where you xj will more thank likely be high pinion, which is an upgrade

also keep the zj drag link and tie rod steering components as they are beefier

and im sure you know that the water pumps are different
baja zj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't they change the ports on the head mid-way through the 98 year?
I think they did.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he doesnt have a 98.....
baja zj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........you're right. My bad.

The ports were raised on the head slightly in '91 as well as a cam change and higher flowing injectors.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes keeping the zj intake

and they should mate fine together
wafflesxoxo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turns out I'm going to have to either get a new transmission or keep the one from the 88. Will the drive shafts line up the same between the two?
wafflesxoxo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, also will there be any problems with the sensors? Should I use the ECM from the 88 or the 93? (turns out the ZJ is a 93 with a door from a 95 Laredo on it.
baja zj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wafflesxoxo wrote:
.....any problems with the sensors? Should I use the ECM from the 88 or the 93? (turns out the ZJ is a 93 with a door from a 95 Laredo on it.

well, Ifox2go knows more about these then I, but from what I little I know about Cherokees, the EC units are completly different. You're early one is a Renix (sp?) and the '93 is a little more sophisticated. I think you'll need to stick with the one that is already in the '93.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes correct, computers wont work, and unless your 93 has the aw4 then swapping trans would be a major pain as well

why is the transmissions going to be a problem? the blocks are the same only difference is the accessories, intake etc, essentially everything that is different is still good on the zj and will work

Did a swap similar to this a few years back, except i went from zj to xj
fishjrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now someone said that the front suspension is the same

does this mean that a cherokee D30HP will swap out flawlessly with my 93 zj D30LP
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep
wafflesxoxo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so as far as the motor goes, I'm replacing the blown ZJ block and warped head with the block and head from the XJ, keeping the intake and injection, power steering pump, a/c from the ZJ, swapping in the swaybar from my XJ and keeping the '93 computer.
Are the sensors the same on the 93 block? (knock sensor and coolant temp. sensor on the left side)
Also, I'm going to take a look at the trannie but I'm reasonably sure it's one of the AW4 variety, but if not should I look for the same combination of transmission and transfer case as is currently on the '93?
Let me explain my position..
The 88 was sold to me real cheap earlier this year, it just needed a little love, a new push rod, new fuel pump, and a new temp sensor, but even so the interior electronics are shot, things short out all the time, sometimes one or both brake lights don't work, the interior is all torn up and there's a few holes in the floor board. The drive train only has 127,000 miles on it.
The '93 is being sold to me at cost of scrap from my boss (I work in the shop at a dealership). It was repo'ed with a busted motor and it's not worth it to him to buy a new motor for it. He wanted to remove and store the transmission and scrap the rest, but instead I'm buying the body and all w/o the transmission for only about $150.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off work, if i sound like an ass sorry, im tired

Heres the bottom line, when you take out the zj motor, sit it on the floor complete

Remove the xj motor, tear it down to where its just a block, head, oil pan, valve cover, then sit it in the zj engine bay, then its a matter of pulling what you need off the zj motor and putting it on the xj motor

I know the water pumps are different, thermostat housings may be different
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still confused as to why you think you need a trans???

the zj trans will bolt up just fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: