Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Suggestions people? S/O Cherokee issues....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc.logix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Any Suggestions people? S/O Cherokee issues.... Reply with quote

My jeep: 92 Cherokee Limited, 4.0L I-6, High Mileage as in 247,000...

I recently acquired it, but I am a firm believer that jeeps just don't die, in most cases you have to work at it to kill them LOL..

Problem Idle and stalling.. yes I know I have been checking out the posts on IAC, TPS, Etc... Pulled IAC and cleaned was covered with carbon, cleaned the TB..

But when cold it starts decently, runs decently, a few misses here and there but nothing I would worry about. Drive it long enough to get it up to temp, or even to stop for a few minutes after getting it close to temp.. it becomes extremely difficult to start when stopped, or if driving, it will idle down for a second to a normal idle then abruptly drop to around 500 missing and sputtering badly followed by a stall. After it stalls is is almost impossible to start until it cools back down well. NOw I also found that if I pop the hood and bleed off the fuel rail, it will start ok while hot as well. in doing this I noticed large amounts of air coming out during bleeding.. vapor lock? Fuel lines are not in abnormal positions.. and if this is the case, why does it seem to run ok if you keep RPM's over say 2000? Also in many ways it sounds as though it is running quite rich when the missing and sputtering starts, but again if I can get the RPM's up, it smooths out and runs fine, just won't idle without dying..

Any assistance would be appreciated.. Thnx!

Doc.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fuel pump on its way out spits a lot of air into the lines , recently had this problem and ended up with a 3 am tow .

otherwise i would look at fuel filter temp sensor or o2 .

you have checked basics like spark plugs ?
doc.logix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump.. Reply with quote

I was beginning to wonder about that, although still confuses me as to why it would run ok at high rpm but not at idle. The only when hot thing makes sense as it is more like after a period of time..

As far as plugs yes new plugs, properly gapped, wires cap and rotor.

If is the pump hopefully will hold out for another paycheck LOL..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: