Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knocking Sound in Front End

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Knocking Sound in Front End Reply with quote

Been having this sound that knocks as I come to a slow speed wether I'm coasting or have a small load on the throttle. Sounds maybe like a bad u-joint on my drive shaft or bad cv joint. I've had bad cv joints before and know the normal "going bad" sound. But that doesn't happen when I turn. My cv boot is split open on the driver side. So could this sound be my cv in it's early stage of going bad? Thanks for your input.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the boot is split the cv it will be going soon, if the noise was coming from the cv it should be audible when turning. I would look at the front driveshaft u-joints. Take off the driveshaft and take it for a ride, if the noise is still there it's probably the cv, if not it's the u-joints. If it's the u-joints replace them with greasable joints and keep them well greased so it don't happen again. Also, if it's the u-joints get a new boot for the cv, then clean it and repack the grease! Mr. Green
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the cv axle with the split boot and of course the axle was bad but not as bad as I thought it would be. I was sure this was my clunking sound. So I took the front drive shaft off and what a beautiful sound. Quietness. No whining, no knocking sound. So I thought I had fixed the clunk sound. Put the driveshaft back on and there was my clunk sound back. I have yanked on the shaft and there is no play. Should I go ahead and replace it? Could it be something else maybe in the differential?
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you grease the u-joints ? i would probably pull the diff cover . whats the worst that can happen you end up finding nothing wrong and change the oil right .

probably a bearing .
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you tear into anything else..... Is this noise constant when you are going slow or one clunk when you slow down??

If you are getting one single clunk on accel or decel then its probably the control arm bushings.. If its a clunk and a groan with accel (or decel) then it could be the bearings in the front axle..

Check all of your control arms , Then check your front diff..

control arms..

Just look at the bushings and wiggle each end of each bushing .. They should be fairly solid.. Some motion is ok but if you are able to wiggle them around that is bad..

Diff..

Wiggle the end of the diff where the Ujoint bolts on . It should not have much movement.. Also try to twist it.. It should only turn about 7/1000 th of an inch... (that is not much so if you get a quarter turn or something then your front diff is toast..)

Take your time... Be patient and look everywhere ..

Post back and let us know what you find..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: