Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOA conversion on a ZJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKZJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: SOA conversion on a ZJ? Reply with quote

Any of you ever ripped the coils out of a ZJ and gone to spring-over? See... here's my Grand ::hah:: Plan.

I want to go spring-over with a 44 or Currie 9" front and a 60 rear.
4.56 or 5.13 gears and ARBs on both ends.
249->242 swap.
35" or 38" Mud Terrains or MT/Rs... havent decided yet. Slight trimming required.
Leaving the 5.2 stock... no reason to mess with perfection.

Here's the deal... I'm good with leaf springs. I like leaf springs... and so far they like me. I had them on my Ford, and they never were a problem down in the north LA mud, and considering what I see around here, they won't be a problem on the OK rocks, either. Coils, on the other hand, just bother me. I'd rather not worry about too much geometry if I don't have to.

This thing is my daily driver right now, but I'm procuring all the parts for after college graduation next year. I have fun with what little I've done to the ZJ so far, but I'm wanting something hardcore. We have some great crawling spots here, and I'm trying to keep up with rail chassis rock buggies. I know I'm never going to get through EVERYTHING they do, but I want to at least give them a run for their money, and I want ot do it in a ZJ... mainly 'cause I've already got it.

I wouldn't even be asking this if the ZJ wasn't unibody. Is there something special about the unibody construction that prevents a leaf spring setup? Somebody has to have attempted this or seen it done. Swampy...?
30" A/T
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put some leaf springs on the front of an XJ once... Its not that hard..

You will need to sleeve the frame...Get some 4X4 box tubing and cut it so that it will slide over the "frame rail" you want it to be as long as possible.

Then drill and bolt it thru the unit body.. (Stich weld it as well if you know how to weld ) Then attatch your spring perches to that...

Be very carefull with welding to the unit body.. It is thin...

Did you say North La. ???? That red clay is a mother.. I used to live near Ruston .. Great wheeling areas around there..

Anyway.. Hope that helps..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OKZJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I may have to box up the frame a little. That wouldn't be a problem, I'm pretty comfortable with a welder. Good to know that I can actually do this. I was gonna make it work, even if I had to make a whole ladder fram to go under the truck and weld it up, but I'm glad you had a better idea.

Ruston, huh? Well, I spent my whole life in Jonesboro and in Winn parish in a little place called Brewton's Mill. Where exactly did you live? And yes, that red clay really sucks. I've seen Boggers turn into big frosted donuts. God, I'm glad I moved to Tulsa. We just have to worry about this gnarly limestone.
30" A/T
chet89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a dana 44 front and 70 rear and i am doing the same thing to my ZJ mostly because a coil suspension to much money... what springs are you using because i am not sure were to get my leafs from so if you could help me out that would be cool... thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said .. Close to Ruston... I meant....

JONESBORO... rofl (noones ever heard of that turd town..)

As a kid .. I rode all over Dodson and Wyatt... I went to Jonesboro Hodge HS...

Small world isnt it..

Anyway..Good luck with your project.. hit me if you have any more questions..

A few years back.. I solid axle my buddys Explorer using leaf springs..

You can see the front Leafs here..

Just be very carefull with your steering.. Dont make some crazy Z link for steering Get what ever drop pitman you need to make it work safely..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fishjrl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice on the steering
just check out this page to see what not to do with steering
http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering.html
the guy who has it knows what he is talking about and doesnt care what you think
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: