Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SO i had a dream... is it possible?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

can it be done?
yep do it
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
NO! your so dumb
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: SO i had a dream... is it possible? Reply with quote

so i dreamt of being locked in the front on tres treses.... now to make this happen i can A. buy a lunch box for 250ish B. get a new axle and get a real locker with lower gear ratio $$$$$ or C. my personal favorite cus of the price- Lincoln locker! for free!

can it be done? i have a 242 so im not in 4 wheel unless im ...... 4 wheelin.
if i can weld it up and lock it for free id love to do it asap... this axle is a low pinon turdy stock on my 93 ZJ with 3.73 gears... i have LS in the rear but i dont think i do up front. i DO NOT have long term plans for this lil baby axle... i want a 44 or even better a full width 44 from an old chevy or a 60/70 somethin pure beef, that is thousands of dollars away.

so in the mean time to get locked up can i weld er up or what?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and get a bigger axle like you want. Are you considering welding the front? If so I highly recommend you dont do that
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a dana 44 front with an ox or arb so you can turn it off on the sreet and never have to worry about it...

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go further as to why I wouldnt weld the front, is because even though you are not in 4 wheel drive, your front pinion, axles and carrier still turn with the wheels. Hence why you can be stopped but it in 4 and crawl right out

Having manual hubs up front would allow you to run a full case locker up front, or if you so choose weld the spiders
fishjrl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are looking for some d44s set up for zj i know 4 wheel drive hardware (4wd.com) has completely built ones for the front and i think they just came out with ones for the rear. but they are not cheap

oh and i just voted no to make you look 100% stupid, sorry
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual hubs are needed to fully lock the front axle without a selectable locker.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truss amd build the dana 30 .....runn so 4130 chromoly axle shafts with an oc and a good stroing truss with some high steer knuckles..that would be a hell of a front axle

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truss amd build the dana 30 .....runn so 4130 chromoly axles shafts with a warn lock out conversion with an ox locker and a good strong truss with some high steer knuckles..that would be a hell of a front axle ...wouldnt come close to breaking on 33's and a fairly stock engine

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote new axle... Welding the front would not work unless you had hubs (as mentioned) but if you are going to be doing much wheeling get something better for the front.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well like i said. i dont intend on running this dana turdy for very long at all... BUT i would like to be LOCKED up front. is there a make and model of a jeep with axle shafts i can swap from a bone yard into my turdy that have manual locking hubs?

what if i dissconnect my font dirve shaft until i go offroading? Rolling Eyes

AND I COULDA SWORN ive heard of people getting rid of thier 249 tc and once they got either a 242 or 231 they got a lunch box locker for up front since they now had 2 wheel. since a lunch box isnt selectable are they just increasing the chance of breaking something while on the road and in 2wheel?

if it CAN be done id love to know how and then ill asses if its worth it or not
im not to worried about breaking anything cus if i do then im that much closer to full widths!! rofl pissed

thanks for all the replys!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lunkchbox locker doesn't fully lock up a diff. It gives power to the wheel with the most resistance. A lincoln locker, spool, detroit locker, all give both wheels egual power. Turning would not be pleasant with any street driving. With a older XJ d30 w/disconnect you could go fully locked because you could cut off power to one wheel.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never stop learning from you... thanks for clearing up some smoke. i kinda want to pursue this since its cheap Twisted Evil. i could use new shafts any way cuz i still have CV and i want the u joint ones.

Last edited by DankNesS on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you blow up your carrier and spider gears?

Hookin up a drive shaft on the trail everytime would get old real quick

a lockrite would be your best bet, so if you upgrade to a HP30 as long as you stick with 27 splines it will interchange

XJs have the ujoint shafts like you are talking and I would say the d30 would handle 33s if you know how to drive and when not to thrash. And 35s if you upgrade to chromoly shafts
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i definately wont run 35's on either of these lil baby axles. i want 60's or 70 ford 9 inch rockwells or some currie i dunno STOUT.

BUT thats a ways away. i want to run 33's on my dana 30/35 setup by keeping my LS in the rear and adding a lunch box i guess if i cant weld it. i wont drop much money into this axle or say a HP30 cus its still just a turdy no thanks. maybe if i come across a 44 for like a bill or some shiot but i doubt it.

i think your right with the lunch box idea.

although if i got some new shafts from an older jeep with locking hubs then id be able to wled my spider gears and be fully locked up front right? is it that easy? or will i encounter some problems with this set up?

my jeep is pretty much a recreational vehicle now so ya know 4x4n is what it do
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt weld the front. With hubs or not

I would either get a lockrite, or a full selectable locker
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: