Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installation order

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: installation order Reply with quote

Working on this old beater XJ and reading the forums has gotten me kind of curious about doing some things that I wasn't planning on. Namely I want to lift it a bit so that it has more clearance for stumps and whatnot, and I want to do long-arms so that I can get rid of the sway bars, and I want some kind of selectable locker so that I can get her out of trouble, and...

These things seem to be all highly related so I'm wondering if there's a specific installation sequence that should be followed. Like, should I do axles then gears then lift then tires, or what?
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long arms do not give you the ability to remove your sway bars.
ehall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I don't know what I don't know, which is why I'm asking I guess

seems like axles are the first thing to replace though, since everything connects to them or modifies them, with gears and whatnot only needed later when I get ready the larger tires, is that right?
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the easy answer is: no. Deciding on what to do first is usually based on two things:

1: What you plan on doing with it.
2: How much you're willing to spend to get it there.

What most people don't realize is that usually the best place to start is to actually take the opportunity to wheel what you have now, at least once or twice, off the pavement. Stock Jeeps, especially XJs, are a very capable bunch, and you'll find out you can do more with them stock than you may have originally thought. After you've had a chance to see what your rig can do, you then need to figure out what to do next.

1: Will it be a daily driver?
2: Will it be an occasional weekend warrior?
3: Will it be a b@lls-to-the-wall rockcrusher?
4: Are you only using it for mudding? Rockcrawling? Scenic-area jaunts? Competition sports like rock assaults and pre-runners?

Irregardless of these answers, the most common place for Jeepers to start would be in lifting their vehicle and adding tires, but as I've stated before, everything depends on what YOU want to do with it, not what WE think you should do with it.

Wander around here and read some of the stuff we've posted. That helps as well.

Good luck. Mr. Green

ehall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it for a foul-weather vehicle, junkyard trips, towing crap around (a 35' man lift to cut high dead branches), and I'm building a house next year so I need something to haul heavy crap through mud. I want it to be capable of getting through waist-high floods, and running over commuter cars when the nukes are falling.

I had been thinking about getting a ZJ for this with the power and leather but that won't work with the nukes scenario... A CJ would be great but there's no truck bed space. An ancient Wagoneer would probably be perfect but I got this ZJ for $0 and I've already got a lot of work done on it so...

Default axles on these seem like crap from everything I've read so that's gotta be replaced sooner or later. Probably 35" tires on a ~6" lift eventually, so I'll need more beef for that. Even if I don't lift it (it's on new 225/75/R15s now and is pretty high) I'll need the stronger axles for the towing. So that's what I'm trying to figure out, what should I get first. I don't see any point in putting a 2.5" baby lift on it it's not going to actually beef it up.

ps--I'm kidding about the nukes, but you know what I mean
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a older xj check if you have a dana 44 in the rear .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: