Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ox Locker question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dexetr30

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Ox Locker question Reply with quote

I'm currently running 29's on my rear D35. I do not ever plan on going any larger as far as tire size goes. I was wondering if I would be able to run an Ox locker in the rear with my tire size and axle combo. Would the D35 still fail when locked with such close to stock size tires. At this point I don't get much trail time in because I just don't have the time. It would be nice to have the locker for winter snow conditions though.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you would be fine.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean you don't want a locker for winter time right ? personally i have 3 to many 360's by accident with a posi on a short wheel base vehicle going down hills .

only use it when you need it , is all i can say . im guessing your getting a selectable .

other option is try and find a dana 44 and put the locker in it . but your 35 probably wont break
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he's looking at an OX, yes it would be selectable.

As Brad implied, you do not want a rear auto locker in the snow. It will lock up when you do not want it to and could cause a loss of control. However, installing an OX just for the possibility of using it to get unstuck in the snow is a like using a sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail...

The D35 is just a weak axle. It's fine for purely stock applications, but once you start locking and/or going oversize tires it's weaknesses become exposed. Practical experience has shown that the D35 just does not hold up to the stresses very well. Can it be beefed up? Sure. The OX comes with the billet steel cover that will reduce housing flex. You can weld the tubes to the housing and truss it to prevent it bending/deforming. And you can get stronger axle shafts. However, you are still taking a weak platform and trying to shore it up. It's always better to take a solid platform and build upon it.

The flip side of this is that D35's are abundant. If you break one, you can snag another fairly cheap...and there is something to be said for that. In addition, if you are not rockcrawling (which is where my experience is) and you do not have a heavy right foot, a D35 probably won't break. However, I would prefer to spend my money once and be done with it. So, in my opinion at least, all you are really doing by putting money into a D35 is polishing a turd.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePhantum wrote:

.......So, in my opinion at least, all you are really doing by putting money into a D35 is polishing a turd.

But what do you really think...........? rofl rofl rofl
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i wasn't sure if ox made a non-selectable locker or not and assumed that was what he would put in because i couldn't justify the 700-1000 $ on a dana 35 .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: