Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1998 jeep cherokee rear axle swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: 1998 jeep cherokee rear axle swap Reply with quote

Does anyone know which axles and model years would swap in place of my worn out 8.25, I am looking for a newer model year, direct bolt in, without doing any modification, possibly with rear disc brakes already installed on it.
many thanks in advance!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gear ratio???
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making the assumption that it's stock and has 3.55 gears. My first question is what's wrong with the 8.25? Why can't it be rebuilt?

If you are looking for direct bolt in / no modifications, your choices are very limited. Going with a newer model year axle than your 98, your talking another 8.25 or a D35. Neither will have disc brakes. Swapping an 8.25 for a D35 is taking a step backwards in my opinion. So to retain the same amount of strength, go with a 97-01 8.25. You can do a rear disc conversion on the axle as well. http://home.swbell.net/rriojas3/reardisk.html

If you willing to give up on the "newer axle" concept, and you want to add a little more strength, find a D44 out of an 87-89 XJ. It's direct bolt in and you can do a rear disc conversion on it as well. http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1977

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gear ratio is stock 3.55 8.25 axle with drum brakes, the problem, is a binding noise when i turn coming from the passengers rear side, I am sure it is either the bearing or the rear end going out, it happen turning left and right , backwards and forwards.... had a dealer check it out, they re-adjusted the new brakes and hardware, $89.00 !!! but the noise continues.. and is starting to get louder now.

since I was planing on A: rebuilding the rear end, and installing the rear disc brake conversion.

Or B: look for a better rear end with disc's on it already for a direct bolt in!

I am kind of Leary about rebuilding the rear end my self, I am a competent mechanic , but I have heard of such things as shimming, c-clips, and etc..... to get it just right, if i did i would go with OEM, parts since I only trail lightly, nothing heavy duty, just mud, sand and water, some hills, no big rocks or boulders, no rock crawling......and will only be running 29-30" tires with a 2" lift...

your thoughts are welcome.... and again many thanks in advance!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the noise is louder when making turns? If so, it sounds like it's a wheel bearing and not the diff itself. If it is a wheel bearing then you could do a disc conversion as outlined in the link above.

As I said, you are not going to find a direct bolt in replacement axle that already has disc brakes.

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JeepMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, It only makes noise when I turn, going frontwards or backwards, left or right, Not while I drive straight, Up Hill or Down hill....

thanks.....
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's only happening in turns and it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, my guess is that it's the passenger side wheel bearing.

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: