Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exploded front diff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryh80

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Exploded front diff Reply with quote

My son has a 93 Grand Cherokee with 5.2 , 249, and 31's. He came limping it home the other day after pulling somebody out of a ditch. He had all four wheels on packed snow when he twisted the front driveshaft in two. We replaced it and got ready to move it when we heard a clunk in the front diff. We pulled it apart and found the crossbar that holds a pair of the spiders was sheared and spiders were bouncing around inside. I've done alot of wheelin and have never seen this. I've never had a Dana 30 is this something common with them? Terry
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really , the shafts usually break . but its not un herd of . did the cross shaft shear or did the 1/4" bolt shear holding it in and the cross shaft fall out ?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did everything else look inside the diff? I did that before, not with a D30, but it toasted the carrier!
terryh80

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sheared the cross shaft and put some large gouges in the carrier. I'm not sure if it may have cracked or spread the carrier so I'm looking for another one right now. I thought maybe he had the front wheels on dry gravel and the rear on packed snow but I looked at the scene and he had packed snow under all four. I guess that means the new Mickey MTZ'z are hooking up huh?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really , my xj has the same axle and i was pulling out a stump sitting me on dry pavement with a chain behind me in the heat of summer in 4lo and i had the tires spinning ( for some reason even the posi had both rears going , then i went and got the 1 ton dodge and pulled it out hahaha .

just changed my diff oil , pulled the cross shafts and replaced the lock bolt (i always do when i change the oil good insurance ) everything check out fine in it .

she just broke . maybe if you were tugging on it and bouncing that could of been what broke it , usually when you start to hop you start to break .
terryh80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Carriers Different? Reply with quote

We pulled it apart and found that there was a roll pin holding the cross shaft in and it broke letting the cross shaft slide out and get munched. Is there a difference between the carriers for antilock and non?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: