Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drive shaft fitting??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: drive shaft fitting?? Reply with quote

ok ive have yet to do an SYE on my cherokee so im on 6"'s and a front wheel drive...my rear driveshaft it a little to short...i have the chrysler 8.25.....ive heard the dana 35 drive shaft is like 2 inchs longer...if i get one and put it in will it work?

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D35 shaft is an inch or two longer. But if yours is already short, I don't think an extra 2 inches is going to cut it because of the slip yoke on the tcase. Even on the road, the axle moves up and down with the suspension. While the shaft might fit when you install it on flat level ground, there probably won't be enough engagement on the output shaft to encompass the range of motion that the axle goes through.

You'll also most likely end up with vibrations because of the driveline angles. Even if you don't, without getting into all the math, ujoints are rated for specific operating loads at a 3 degree joint angle. If you double the angle, you halve the joint life...triple the angle, divide the joint life by 3, etc. At 6" of lift, the operating range of each joint is going to run way beyond 3 degrees..in other words you'll chew through them quickly.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so im taking that wont work.....what makes other drive shafts run up to like 60 degrees and even steeper?

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things. First off, the tailshaft conversion (SYE) itself. That allows the driveshaft to contain the slip mechanism...much like the front shaft. In addition, the drive shaft will typically have a double cardian or C.V. joint on the t-case end. The two joints on that end equally divide the total angle, which will help extend the lives of both joints. If you pivot the axle a few degrees so that the pinion is pointing towards the tcase (which the FT springs do) you can get away with a singe ujoint on that end.

Don't misunderstand though...a common misconception is that double cardian joints allow for greater angles than a single cardian. The fact is most double joints will bind at less of an angle than a single joint. However, because they divide the joint angles at their common center point, they will rotate smoother at higher operating angles and have longer individual joint life than single cardian shafts.

For something extreme, like a 60 degree angle...you'd need to use a high angle CV. These are expensive and they are not rated for a lot of RPM nor do the joints live very long. If you've got angles like that, you are typically trailering and the rig never sees the highway...

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thanks....have you heard of people running swaure drive shafts on the street?

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: