Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

91 xj no start mystery quiz "SOLVED"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had to do it myself...but I know on the Renix systems that were put in older XJ's the TPS was adjustable and had to be dialed in with an OHM meter. So it's possible that this had to be done for the CPS as well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have now replaced all i know to replace. i put another computer on today and nothing happened. what else is there to do. besides get full coverage ins and burn it. i really need some info on this. please help. can a dealer or pro shop run a diognostics on it and give me any answers.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either fuel, ignition or sensor. Without having the Jeep in front of me to diagnose, the only thing I can suggest is put an OBDI scanner on it. First run a capture when the engine is running well to get a baseline. Then, recreate the problem and run another capture. That way you'll be able to compare the two sets and at least get pointed in the right direction.

Otherwise, you'll just be replacing sensors at random hoping to stumble on the solution..

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have replaced all electrical sensors on the engine and a computer, the ignition items are new and have tried spraying starter fluid and this thing will not start at all. plugs are new also. i am lost. thanks for responding. i have also did the three time ignitions switch trick to pull codes and it is showing to be clean.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you pour a cap of gas down the throttle body and you don't have a running vehicle you can rule out the entire fuel system .

so you have ignition and compression left . for sensors thats gonna include both cps's and your computer really .

pull a spark plug and see if your getting spark . getting spark you know wires and coil are good . getting spark and it not working then its sparking at the wrong time , so your looking at the distributor(orientation and timing) cps's or possibly the knock sensor .

one of those would be my guess .
slinky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled my plugs while ago and they are toast. black as tar. they are guessing 150- 250 miles old. going to replace those right now and just get even madder when it dont crank. i hope it will. also i am not getting a good blue spark when it hits from the coil. like i said before i had tried all new ignition items and still not a blue strike.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you arent getting a good spark the only things i can think of are:
1. New Wires
2. New Distributor rotor/cap
3. ignition module
4. coil(s)
5. bad alternator/battery connection; believe it or not could make a difference. I recently had a problem where my motor would start but would not keep running due to the cpu not getting enough power to tell everything what to do.
6. Check the fuseable links (if your xj has them), follow the positive battery cable to a jumble of wires located somewhere on the body, feel the wires for a break, splice it open and replace with a butt-connector.
7. CHECK ALL OF YOUR GROUNDS
8. if all else fails, put full coverage on it, claim to swerve and miss an animal of somesort and hit a pole.
slinky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive covered all that bro. thanks for the reply though i need all the info and advice i can get. all parts are new. i am still waiting on my wife to return with the spark plugs. as far as the hitting a pole deal i believe i'll pass. my bumpers are to tough for that senario. thats hand built 3x5x3/16" square with 2" dome sch40 tube. thats not no cheap warn production made gum wraper. i like warn designs but i also like protecting my grill and pushing things over with no worries. .
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping that the spark plugs will solve the porblem. If not, Phantums point about taking a code scanner to it is a good one. It found my CPS problem in a matter of seconds. That was with an OBDI system though; not sure whether your XJ is OBDI or Renix.

Finally I found these links:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl637i.htm
http://www.ilovejeeps.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17451
The first one discusses how the CPS should be mounted/adjusted, and the last post in the second link points out that the condition of the flywheel/flexplate that the CPS "reads" is also important. Maybe worth checking if the spark plugs don't solve the problem?

--
Regards,
Kári
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah kaos brought up a good point if the flex plate is damaged it might not run .
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after almost two weeks and over $400 spent on this jeep in a complete engine sensor replacement, new distributor, coil, rotor and cap, battery - i toasted mine during the cranking attempts -, and new computer i have solved the case. after i put my new plugs in. again i tried another attempt to crank it. and "BAMM"! the mother$#!?&@ started. missing like all he!! and hesitating like a b!tch. it stayed runnning. now ever so pleased to hear it run and so pissed off i could not see strait from the rough running engine. i looked things over real quick before it died i noticed that i did forget to remount my map sensor. fiddling with it i just happened to notice that there was something weird. the vacume line was i guess broke before and repaired poorly by joining the two back together with "guess what" anybody? (IT IS !)- long pause-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------" HOLY $H!T BATMAN. " ELECTRICAL SHRINK WRAP ".now. this spot between the two brakes was kinked and colapsed. low and behold as i straitend the kink out. i notice a perfectly running 4.0. now what the f$#@. i am willing to bet i could swap out all my original sensors and what knots and this was all that was wrong. "DAMN YOU SHRINK WRAP REPAIRER". anyways. i am now really happy that my jeep is running and i dont have to spend anymore money.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird i have had that hose fall off on two jeeps , it ran rough but definitely ran .

at least now you have a bunch of spare sensors to put in your glove compartment in case they decide to douche out on you on the trail.
slinky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i definitly have some extra parts to carry. i hope this thread can help someone from going through what all i had to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: