Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

swaping the stock inline 6 for a chevy 350 or other 8cyl

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopher383

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: swaping the stock inline 6 for a chevy 350 or other 8cyl Reply with quote

My 2000 XJ is on its last legs as far at the motor goes, and I'm trying to find a good swap (cheapish) for when it comes time to replace it. I've heard rumor of chevy 350's being put in fairly easily and was wondering what parts I would have to get to sync it with my auto-trany, I have no clue where to look. Also I'd like to know what other options I can look into. Thanks.
badger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: swaping the stock inline 6 for a chevy 350 or other 8cyl Reply with quote

gopher383 wrote:
My 2000 XJ is on its last legs as far at the motor goes, and I'm trying to find a good swap (cheapish) for when it comes time to replace it. I've heard rumor of chevy 350's being put in fairly easily and was wondering what parts I would have to get to sync it with my auto-trany, I have no clue where to look. Also I'd like to know what other options I can look into. Thanks.

ya the 350 will fit but going in cheap is not a word i would use.whats so wrong with putting another 4.0 in it.oh and since its a 2000 (in most states) the motor that you would replace yours with would have to be from the same year or newer.try looking up the price of a used 2000 or newer 350 Vortec.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gopher383

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a Chevy 350 discounted for around 1300 due to family working for a chevy dealership. I'm more so looking for the parts needed to put it in correctly. As for another 4.0, I need more power. My Jeep is the rescue vehicle for my dumber friends XJ's when they decide to get stuck.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you heard it's failry easy and cheap to swap a 350 into an XJ....because it's neither. Regardless of the cost of the engine, it's going to be time consuming to do, expensive to get it right and you'll need strong fabrication skills to get it done. First of all, like Badger said, the engine going in has to be the same year or newer. Meaning that you would need not just the motor, but also the computers and all the sensors intact.

Next the 350 has to sit lower than the 4.0 in order to get the hood closed. So the existing locations of the motor mounts are in the wrong place. They need to be cut out and new ones welded in.

The overall length of the 350 block causes problems both at the radiator (which will also have to be replaced...it's inadequate to cool a SBC) and the location of the distributor causes issues at the firewall. Again, neither is insurmountable, but both require some significant fabrication.

Also, due to the small size of the engine compartment, you're choice in exhaust manifolds/headers is fairly limited...mainly being expensive custom headers or low performance late model manifolds.

The best option to get more power "on the cheap" is to pull your 4.0 and stroke it. That way you retain the existing computers/sensors, it will cost a lot less and everything is pretty much bolt on. Hell, if you grab another 4.0L out of a junkyard and stroke it ahead of time, you can swap it in a day.
htttp://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to sync it up with your auto tranny your gonna want to sell the one you have and get a 4l60e . i don't think anyone makes a bell housing for it and it would just blow up .

a stroker 4.0 is the direction i would go or perhaps a turbo with a fresh engine .

the 350 is alot of work , personally i don't think the uni-body would hold up well unless you strengthened it up a lot .

the 4.0 shouldn't have problems pulling out your friends , you can't tell me in 4low you run out of power before you run out of traction .
badger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
to sync it up with your auto tranny your gonna want to sell the one you have and get a 4l60e . i don't think anyone makes a bell housing for it and it would just blow up .

actually the AW4 can easily handle the newer Vortecs .Its the same trans that came in the Turbo Supras.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
Brad The Best wrote:

actually the AW4 can easily handle the newer Vortecs .

Ditto...and I seem to remember seeing that Advance Adapters makes a bell housing for a 350/AW4 conversion...

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read on novak conversions that they wont even bother making a bell housing for a v8 with the aw4 simply because it wont take it . i personally am not a fan of the aw4 , get a bell housing if you want .
badger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the AW4 can easily handle in up of 400 horse power.as i stated above the Supras used the same trans.guys who build drag Supras use the AW4 so this would lead me to believe NOVAK is a bunch of idiots that have no clue as to what they are talking about.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not the AW4, it will handle the torque and HP just fine. The issue is with the NP231/NP242 tcase...it will pretty much shred. Personally, if I was doing it, I would go with the full drivetrain out of late model Chevy 4x4 truck.

But the fact is, no one (including me) is recommending doing the conversion in the first place. Not when, you could spend less money and do less fabrication stroking the 4.0L to 4.5L. Hell, you could even go as far as stroking it to 4.9 or even 5.0L...and I suspect you would still spend less money than on a SBC conversion...

Quote:
gopher383

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would have to be done to stroke the motor? I already have to fix the 6th cyl because its shot. How much is something like this lookind to cost?
fishjrl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get kits for about $800 as a base line kit and about $1000-1200 for all the options. thats if you do it yourself. labor is a lot of dough and it might cost the same to have someone teach you how to rebuild a motor.

you can also get many of the parts out of a junkyard
badger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or for a little bit more then a rebuilt 4.0 you can get a pre-built stroker from several companies.

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre-built stroker http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/jeep_off-road.html

build your own http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Stroker/Stroker.htm
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/stroker40/index.asp
http://www.jpmagazine.com/tech/engine/index.html

there are a couple other sites out there about strokers . also four wheeler magazine just did a build up for the 4.0L jeep stroker . jp also recently did one .
Chevyk30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for the stroker 4.0L... you should be able to get enought power to tear your whole drivetrain apart. Check out this site.... http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html I have heard of guys putting v8's in cherokee's, I think it was jp magazine had a write up a few years back, so yes, it can be done, if it is worth it, that is all up to you... another idea, if you want a v8 powered jeep, get a cj or a wrangler, they are much easier to put a v8 in than a cherokee....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: