Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! TJ hardtop wiring kit.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Help! TJ hardtop wiring kit. Reply with quote

Hey all. I got my wife a hardtop wiring kit from Quadratec for Christmas, and started installing it today. Let me first say, they've included the absolute worst instructions with the kit that I've ever seen. There's no text, no descriptions, just poorly drawn black and white line pictures. Everything was going fairly well, up until Step 21.

In step 21, the diagram shows two wires in the new hardtop harness running up behind the instrument panel and plugging into two unused slots on one of the plugs that the gauge cluster attaches to. The first problem is that the image shows the two wires going into the plug on the left side, which in my Jeep, is gray. However, in the very next image, the directions have the plug labeled as "BK Mating side", which I take to mean "Black, Mating Side". Well, in my Jeep, the black plug for the gauge cluster is on the right side. Do I want the gray plug on the left as indicated by Image 21, or the black plug on the right as indicated by Image 22?

Not that it matters; the diagram detailing the installation of the two wires into this plug (Image 22) shows the plug having two rows of 8 slots, with the two new wires going into slots 1 and 7, both of which are on the top row. My Jeep, however, has two rows of five slots- and the number 1 slot already has a pin/ wire going to it. Both of the plugs behind the gauge cluster in my Jeep (the gray one on the left and the black one on the right), are 10 pin plugs. Ruh-roh, Shaggy.

Moving on to Image 23, the instruction diagram shows several multi- wire plugs, but gives you no information with regard to where on the vehicle these plugs are, or what I'm supposed to do with them. What's going on here? Images 24 and 25 indicate another single wire from the new harness plugging into a multi pin connector, but I have no idea where this is, or what connector.

Steps 26 and 27 are fairly straightforward; run the wires with connectors on them over to the new switches installed in the dash and plug them in. Okay.

I get lost again at Step 28. It indicates a dark blue/ red wire from the new harness coming over and out behind the glovebox. My harness doesn't have a dark blue/ red wire.

The confusion carries over to Image 29. It indicates an orange wire from my new harness coming through the dash and out behind the A/C controls, where I'm supposed to solder it to an existing orange wire for gauge illumination. That would be simple enough, if my harness had an orange wire.

I tried calling Quadratec, but their technical help line is only open Monday through Friday, 9AM to 5PM, Eastern time. That's really useful to all of us who have bought from them, but unfortunately have to work through the week and only have time to work on the Jeep on the weekend. Has anyone installed one of these kits on an '00 TJ? I really need some help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: