Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep continues to die out, hard starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RProst90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Jeep continues to die out, hard starting Reply with quote

I purchased my 1991 Jeep Wrangler 4 cylinder 5 speed about 6 months ago. Since then i have replaced the clutch and pertaining components. Recently it has been dying out and is difficult to start after. (this is about a month after the clutch job was finished) I will try my best to describe the problems ive experienced. Last friday i installed a locking gas cap and later that night it died out at a stop light on my way home from work and one more time on the way home but nothing too major. The next day i attempted to drive it again hoping for the best, but barely made it to the end of my street before it died in 3rd gear and two more times on the way back to the driveway. The startup seemed normal and the idle was as solid as it ever was. My gas guage reads a quarter tank, but i am not sure how accurate it is because it has always seemed to jump around. My car has been pretty good about running in the cold weather and i see no reason for it all of a sudden to be impacted by the cold weather. My initial thought was the gas cap not letting any air in or out of the gas tank causing the car to die. Having misplaced my old gas cap i have been unable to test this theory. Would running the car without a gas cap be a good test to see if it is the problem? or can that not be related to the presence of an actual gas cap? The car has gotten progressively worse over the past few days. Now when i try to start it, it usually jumps above 2000rpm then slowly makes its way down and dies. After a few tries at starting and dying the car refuses to start. Could low fuel or the gas cap be a possiblity? Anyone have any other possible ideas? Sorry for the lack of introduction, the names Randy and im just trying to maintain a reliable Jeep. Any input would help a lot.
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that this is a fuel injected engine. I think that the gas cap should *not* let air in. That's supposed to happen through the evap. canister. If, however, the breather line is blocked and your old fuel cap was leaking, the new, tight cap would cause problems.

Another thought: Since you mention that the fuel gauge jumps around; check the sender/pump unit and it's connections carefully. In particular the ground connection, as that could affect both gauge and fuel delivery.

--
Kári
jackson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last Wrangler was an 89 and it did the same thing. Mine would die out suddenly at any speed. I replaced the oxygen sensor valve and it never happened again. Might not be the same as yours, but it might be worth a shot.
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on a computer and see if you get any codes. If not take it to a Jeep dealer and have them run a diagnostic. Might save you more in the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: