Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1985 2.8 cherokee pioneer fuel pump location

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: 1985 2.8 cherokee pioneer fuel pump location Reply with quote

hey please help this desperate mom, my boy has this project jeep and we can't find the fuel pump, looked in book says in tank, but he couldn't see it in the tank. the reason for trying to find it is it won't start and no fuel going into carb. thanks for any help.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.8 has a mechanical fuel pump it is attached to the side of the engine. Follow the fuel lines they will bring you to it!

silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: thanks bunches, Reply with quote

we found it, replaced it, still no start but turns over nicely, he is going to look at timing today.. thanks again for your help.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the crank position censor
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: oh boy Reply with quote

where is the crank position sensor and is it easy to check.. he checked timing today move the dist. a little here and there but still no start it sure sounds like it wants to. i will break out the book and see if i can find this thing. When we figure this jeep out i'll be able to have my own web site for moms that have teenage mechanics. (not really)Smile
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i don't own a 2.8L but i am 95% sure you don't have a cps(crank position sensor) so don't worry about it .

you have a fairly basic ignition system basically consisting of a distributor and coil .

is the check engine light on ? have you tried pulling some on board diagnosis codes ?

is there spark at all ? is fuel going into the engine or just the carb?

your best bet is to get your son a Haynes manual for 1984-2000 Cherokee's and look at the sections involving the 2.8L they stock them at your local library if you don't want to buy one at a auto parts store . there is a lot of things to check and the manual will explain it and give you figures and settings .

perhaps the most important tool in the tool box .
silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: we have it kinda runnin' Reply with quote

there is no sensors on it.. i wish i would have checked my email sooner but no big deal, he did a compression check where the spark plugs go they 80 to 100. we have it running if you hold the gas down you can get it started but it is very lugged down take your foot off and it dies.. it has been sitting in the guys yard for over 2 years so could it just take abit to clear everything out should we continue to keep it running he was also thinking maye that timing is a little off.we do have a chilton jeep book, plus 2 s10 books because he also has a 84 blazer and both have same engine the 2.8. we are closer since at least it was running kinda, any other ideas are welcomed Smile
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: we have it kinda runnin' Reply with quote

silver wrote:
it has been sitting in the guys yard for over 2 years so could it just take abit to clear everything out should we continue

there is the exact 100% problem , when gas sits it turns into a solid varnish inside of the carborator which clogs up the jets and pretty much everything .

were talking about things that meter the fuels measured in .0001 of an inch so being plugged solid isn't a good thing .

go get a couple cans of caborator medic or some mercury power tune , and a carborator kit (gaskets and jets ) remove the unit and find a clean bench and take that puppy apart and clean every little piece blow out every little passage way till its spotless . then i would replace the jets , needle and seat . and set the float level (usually if you flip it upside down it should be level with the carborator body .

you will also have to drain all the gas from the tank and put in new gas and change the fuel filter .

if your uncomfortable with taking apart the carb and rebuilding it there are usually specialty shops that do it . there are a lot of small parts and linkages that have to be adjusted inside but if you take your time and lay everything out you should be okay .

you do have some sensors i believe (tps coolant and a few others if its a California machine , which could also say a couple things about why its not running )

the reason it starts with it floared is because the main metering is large and is allowing some fuel to come through , its not running right because everything else is plugged solid .
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't even go near the timing until you clean out the carb and make sure the choke is working , also i would replace some vacuum hoses . they are probably cracked and broken .

your compression looks low but as long as they are within 30 psi of each other then it should be okay .
adamzski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check everything Brad the best said, if none of that works, how is the battery and are you jump starting it? if the batter is under 10 volts it wont fire the computer which is why it would run with your foot on the gas and not without, cause at higher rpm's the alternator is putting out more juice.
Mud Terrains
Jet performance chip
K&N Intake
Flowmaster exhaust
Custom wheels
Locked Diffs
Kenwood head, infinity speaks, pioneer subs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Toliver09

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the cap and rotor. I had this exact problem with my cherokee, it is not a 2.8, but it had the EXACT same problem. I bought new plugs wires cap and rotor and wah-lah, it ran perfect. You may be able to get away with just a cap and rotor since it's carbureted, but I would get new plugs at least while your at it, if you've been trying to jam the gas hoping it would start your plugs may be fouled now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: thanks, more thoughts needed for new sounds Reply with quote

hey to all that helped with ideas, thanks we now have it up and running. it is making a bit of a clicking sound at speeds higher than 55,(as a mom does that boy really need to be going any faster). he says it also seams to to grab and makes clunk sound at low speed when turning. so if you have any thoughts would love to hear them. thanks again
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the axle u-joints.
This should help you!

http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13295
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: